Corona virus - Mortgages and rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona virus - Mortgages and rent

CMHC has announced mortgage payment deferrals for all insured loans on March 22, 2020 effective now.
    All banks are being told to follow suit for uninsured loans.
    Just call your bank and tell them you need a deferral.
    Deal with it after this pandemic is over and payments resume.
    Noone is foreclosing. No penalties. No strict policy. Just call the bank.

For anyone considering this (and the banks have to approve you), really do your homework first, and use it as a last resort (like, you've lost your job, and have no choice).

The mortgage deferral costs you more in the end, and you may be surprised by higher payment amounts when you start paying again.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
      For anyone considering this (and the banks have to approve you), really do your homework first, and use it as a last resort (like, you've lost your job, and have no choice).

The mortgage deferral costs you more in the end, and you may be surprised by higher payment amounts when you start paying again.
      Yes this is not carte blanche.
      Only should be used if truly needed.
      I should have made that more clear
      Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post

Mortgage rates are expected to fall so might be a good time to look at renewing, maybe even early renewal (fold the penalty into principal) or blend and extend. Consider getting pre-approved if your lender allows this.
        Last edited by Abba435; 03-24-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

And this is only for insured mortgages I believe. Mine is uninsured, so I guess my only option would be to skip a payment. I’m hoping to not have to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by velas View Post
            And this is only for insured mortgages I believe. Mine is uninsured, so I guess my only option would be to skip a payment. I’m hoping to not have to do that.
            CMHC's CEO was interviewed saying all loans are to be included insured or not. Devil is in the details. Check with your lender.

Comment

Dang, I wish I was up for renewal this year!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X