Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Pandemic - do the right thing lawyers

We are facing an unprecedented national emergency that could go on for months if not years.

Many parents are losing their only source of income and are faced with little recourse to adjust or defer their support obligations.

The legal profession could do the right thing and slash or eliminate fees to help parents in a national emergency.

Post free advice here, give rock bottom or no charge advice to help your clients. Help people and kids in a NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

If a parent cannot pay why should the legal profession profit? It a parent is not receiving support why should lawyers take cash that should go for grocereis. Parents have lost their jobs, income, daycare, transportation and in some cases health benefits.

Those that profit should be ashamed IMHO. Do the right thing.

End of rant.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 AM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The legal profession could do the right thing and slash or eliminate fees to help parents in a national emergency.
We have rent to pay, children to feed, and staff who in turn have rent to pay and children to feed. My firm operates on a thin margin as is. By the end of the week 2 of my staff will probably need to be laid off if business continues to a standstill.

Many lawyers are stepping up and offering more pro bono advice than they usually would, particularly on employment/layoff issues. (it's being talked about extensively in lawyer chat groups).

Some lawyers have the savings/income to do an extended period of pro bono/reduced fee service. Those who can, should.

Other lawyers cannot. Younger lawyers in particular do not have muskoka cottages or million dollar investment accounts. Between tuition costs, real estate costs and a general rise in the cost of living... we're just making ends meet.

Last edited by Kinso; 03-23-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
We have rent to pay, children to feed, and staff who in turn have rent to pay and children to feed. My firm operates on a thin margin as is. By the end of the week 2 of my staff will probably need to be laid off if business continues to a standstill.

Many lawyers are stepping up and offering more pro bono advice than they usually would, particularly on employment/layoff issues. (it's being talked about extensively in lawyer chat groups).

Some lawyers have the savings/income to do an extended period of pro bono/reduced fee service. Those who can, should.

Other lawyers cannot. Younger lawyers in particular do not have muskoka cottages or million dollar investment accounts. Between tuition costs, real estate costs and a general rise in the cost of living... we're just making ends meet.
We all should do what we can
Your comments are articulate and germane as always !
Old 03-23-2020, 11:15 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

As long as you have equity on your home lawyer will continue to milk you. Doesn't matter if your unemployed. Once a lawyer has prepared your financials he knows exactly if you can pay legal fees or not. When a lawyer is allowed to charge more for his fees than a brain surgeon saving lives it is almost as bad as covid19.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM
Banned

If you are lucky enough to have benefits for counselling why not use them to get help with co-parenting issues such as schedules, home schooling and stress.

Most therapists are offering secure online services.

Way cheaper than legal proceedings, and less stressful.

There are also community counselling and mental health services.

Family doctors can also help put with stress management including referrals to OHIP covered treatment if needed.

If anyone wants to form a support online chat group I am open. Maybe one of our lurking lawyers would uncloak and lend a hand too.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba435 View Post
Very few people would volunteer for a pay cut.

Even if I did volunteer for a pay cut, I feel that my car loan will likely not be cut. Groceries do not seem to be cheaper, insurance companies have not slashed premiums, and my internet costs to post my words of wisdom have remained shockingly unchanged.

What makes lawyers special? Why should they accept less money when anybody (who has not been laid off) is still taking everything that they can?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Very few people would volunteer for a pay cut.

Even if I did volunteer for a pay cut, I feel that my car loan will likely not be cut. Groceries do not seem to be cheaper, insurance companies have not slashed premiums, and my internet costs to post my words of wisdom have remained shockingly unchanged.

What makes lawyers special? Why should they accept less money when anybody (who has not been laid off) is still taking everything that they can?
Res ipsa loquitur.
Every one for themselves.
Charming and consistent with the "profession".
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba435 View Post
Res ipsa loquitur.
quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
Wish I had taken more latin. Maybe not. Stay safe. Thanks for the comments
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM

LovingDad1234 is on a distinguished road

Lawyers have to pay their bills and overhead too. Remember, they are running a business, just like any other business that needs to stay afloat. A mechanic charges you parts AND labour, a lawyer charges you for their expertise which is knowledge-related. If you have a good relationship with lawyer, you can ask for deferred payments, or a promise to pay at a later time, etc.. Sometimes you can ask a question here or there as a one-off and they won't charge you.....those are the nice ones.

I was fortunate to find an extremely nice lawyer who genuinely cared. Previous to this lawyer, I had an terrible bloodsucking lawyer. I told the firm that I didn't have much money and needed my matter resolved as cost-effective as possible, so they assigned a junior lawyer. Junior lawyer kept meeting with Senior lawyer to discuss my file. Guess who kept getting charged $650/hr for meetings between a junior and senior lawyer?