Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:36 AM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road
Default Covid-19 and custody/access cases

How do you think Covid-19 will affect the court system?
I havenít heard anything about my upcoming matter yet, but should we expect that upcoming court dates will be deferred? If so, it seems this will greatly affect custody/access trials.
Weird times for sure.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 07:33 PM

LovingDad1234 is on a distinguished road

Maybe this will be the start to something new. I've been to court many times and wondered what the heck all the lawyers were doing there. Perhaps Family Law needs to move towards a written regime only. Judge examines written briefs, provides written questions back to each party, and allows for opportunity for written reply. No need for lawyers grandstanding on how terrible the other party is.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

That would also stop us having to pay a lawyer for a whole day when he sits around at the court house waiting for your matter to be called. The matter lasts 20 minutes but you just paid him for 6 hours to sit there and wait. It's ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:56 PM

rvalentines is on a distinguished road

The Canadian Bar Association will fight tooth and nail against any efficiencies in the court system that can see their member's incomes decrease.

Are you aware that the Canadian Bar Association advocates AGAINST shared parenting? They claim it INCREASES litigation. Can you believe that?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:53 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalentines View Post
Are you aware that the Canadian Bar Association advocates AGAINST shared parenting?
To be fair, they argued against a presumption of shared parenting, not shared parenting itself.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange71727 View Post
How do you think Covid-19 will affect the court system?
I havenít heard anything about my upcoming matter yet, but should we expect that upcoming court dates will be deferred? If so, it seems this will greatly affect custody/access trials.
Weird times for sure.....
Courts are shut down till June basically. Trials that were in progress have been stopped and they are looking to June as the start date.

Basically, this will put everything out easily a year or more. Good luck to everyone that depends on the court system to get something resolved. I have a feeling settlement will be the best option for the next year.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Courts are shut down till June basically. Trials that were in progress have been stopped and they are looking to June as the start date.

Basically, this will put everything out easily a year or more. Good luck to everyone that depends on the court system to get something resolved. I have a feeling settlement will be the best option for the next year.
And I was just about to file my paperwork. Not sure how to proceed now regarding my kids school in the fall.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
And I was just about to file my paperwork. Not sure how to proceed now regarding my kids school in the fall.
See latest post by Kinso with recent ruling. Landmark perhaps.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba435 View Post
See latest post by Kinso with recent ruling. Landmark perhaps.
Saw it, but it's not related to COVID at all.

Ex moved away and left kids with me. Kids are registered in her old neighborhood and won't sign new school paperwork for them to attend in my area.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:14 PM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
Saw it, but it's not related to COVID at all.

Ex moved away and left kids with me. Kids are registered in her old neighborhood and won't sign new school paperwork for them to attend in my area.
Joint custody?
If yes you can register without her signature.
If she is custodian and abandoned the kids you will have an emergency motion heard I expect and will have a very good case for sole custody