Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 PM

Netflix is on a distinguished road
Default Are gains in my RRSP used in calculating child support?

So I know that if I put money into my RRSP that can not be used to reduce my line 150 for the purpose of child support.
But what if the 100,000 in my RRSP goes up to 200,000 in one year? I don't withdraw anything from my RRSP so I don't think it should be used in any calculation but I'm curious for confirmation.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
So I know that if I put money into my RRSP that can not be used to reduce my line 150 for the purpose of child support.
But what if the 100,000 in my RRSP goes up to 200,000 in one year? I don't withdraw anything from my RRSP so I don't think it should be used in any calculation but I'm curious for confirmation.

Thanks
First of all, I'd really want to know where your RRSP is invested, because I'd need to move mine!

Your income coming in is what is used to calculate your CS. What you choose to do with the rest of it is up to you (pay bills, eat food, invest in RRSPs, give it to charity, etc).

Increases in your RRSP are not current income. You do not have it available to spend at any point until you draw from the RRSP, at which time it shows up as income and you pay the taxes on it.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

*correction. The law states that withdrawals from RRSPs *MAY* be used to calculate support payments.

...may to the payer equates to: I hope the hell not.

...may to the recipient equates to: damn straight it will.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Normally RRSPs withdrawals count as income for CS purposes if the purpose of the withdrawal can be reasonably inferred to be for regular income.

One shot withdrawls (to purchase a home, for example) are not added to your income for CS in any judgment I've ever read.

As Serene points out, it's up to the discretion of the judge.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

As for the original question, if RRSP gains are not included on your line 150 income (which I'm pretty sure they aren't) then they don't count for CS.

But yes, sadly, in most cases you must pay child support on the income that is being redirected into RRSPs.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default Are gains in my RRSP used in calculating child support?

My partner had this happen. When he lost his job the company matched his RRSP but that money never went on a paycheque, it went straight into his personal RRSP. It was on an investment income receipt for taxes though. The lawyer said not to include it as income for CS purposes because it wasnt accessible income and only a benefit from losing his job. But that was our case. He said that the paid out vacation and sick did have to be included though.

I should note that he wasnt using line 150 to calculate CS. He was using actual income and that amount was to calculate arrears for the year.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50 AM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
First of all, I'd really want to know where your RRSP is invested, because I'd need to move mine!
Check into self-directed RRSP mortgages for your primary residence, and pay yourself the interest into your RRSP as opposed to a bank.

Alternatively, if you don't have enough to hold your own mortgage, lend your RRSP moneys out in $10, $20 or higher principal amounts as secured 2nd mortgages. I charge interest anywhere from 8-12%, with a lender bonus, on the loans I grant. Let your local mortgage broker know you have money to lend. There are only 2 or 3 trust companies which will take a self-directed, but I can send you the names if interested.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
Check into self-directed RRSP mortgages for your primary residence, and pay yourself the interest into your RRSP as opposed to a bank.

Alternatively, if you don't have enough to hold your own mortgage, lend your RRSP moneys out in $10, $20 or higher principal amounts as secured 2nd mortgages. I charge interest anywhere from 8-12%, with a lender bonus, on the loans I grant. Let your local mortgage broker know you have money to lend. There are only 2 or 3 trust companies which will take a self-directed, but I can send you the names if interested.
Sounds intriguing, but my RRSPs are pretty puny. I'd made spousal contributions throughout the marriage into my ex's RRSPs and he kept them all in equalization. I've only had a few years of rebuilding since. Too bad I couldn't get the contribution room back somehow!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Mcdreamy, pls send me info. Thank you
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Mcdreamy, pls send me info. Thank you
+1 please; thanks!

Tags
rrsp