“It is for the kids”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “It is for the kids”

My ex will approach me with a request (order) that we never discussed prior and then say, “it is for the children” in order to support her viewpoint/wishes.

I have no issues with working together in their (or our) best interest but when it consistently is subjective requests, something we never discussed together prior and one-sided it is frustrating.

If I say something back along the lines of, “I have a different perspective can we talk about that...” or “have you considered...” or even if I ask a single question it then turns into an argument and I get the, “see you are impossible to work with argument” in return accompanied with a multitude of smirks visible agitation and a variety of accusations. If I then say, “I am not having an argument” or try to walk away I get blamed for that and it continues.

If our separation agreement was finalized this wouldn’t be a major concern and I could better navigate around it or avoid it altogether. However, I don’t want to bow down to something that I don’t support just to flatter her- and protect myself- but I also don’t want to give her all the power or even worse any ammo to use against me concerning my parenting style, inflexibility and unwillingness to “co-parent” as we move towards our court date. Especially when she is pursuing full custody and has falsely accused me of abuse. I feel stuck in the middle of right verses wrong and I don’t know which way is up anymore.

Can you limit the amount of face to face interaction with her? Have others pick up or drop off the kids? It’s much harder for the kind of exchange you just described to occur if your communication is all written via text or email. It also provides evidence of her being unreasonable or manipulative.
    You can also respond something along the lines of :
    “Thank you for your input. I’ll take that into consideration “. Then put her on ignore.
    Last edited by Stillbreathing; 10-14-2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Your response can simply be “the best thing for the children is to have maximum contact with both parents therefore I will not be agreeing to this request”.

Or simply no. Or simply ignore.

She can say whatever she wants, you don’t have to respond.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to include we are currently still living separate but apart.

I have tried the “maximum contact...” response and have received, “well, yeah. I know your opinion”

Comment

Then your response is simply no and then ignore.

Comment

Easy enough!

Comment

Our Family Wizard. Everything goes through there.

Comment

Ok that actually made me laugh

Thanks I needed that

Comment

Originally posted by Wid View Post
                  I feel stuck in the middle of right verses wrong and I don’t know which way is up anymore.
                  1. Stop trying to convince her about anything. She has already decided that your arguments are worthless.

2. Keep everything in writing.

3. The way up is to be super friendly in writing. You can tell her to gargle a juiced fungus-ridden tarantula-corpse in person, but in writing just be super sweet. That isn't bowing down, that is just being smart.

Comment

Thanks and I agree.

Even when I agree with her she attacks me. It is really perplexing.

I have now decided that any issues that are prefaced by “can I talk to you..” or that aren’t concerning basic logistics if necessary I am requesting that it is sent via email. It would likely put an end to it anyway.

Thanks for the reply and it looks like it is time for her to gargle... jk

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                      Our Family Wizard. Everything goes through there.
                      Haha... I first thought it was a sarcastic joke. I see now that it is a service/app. I am looking into it. Lol

Comment

What do you mean by you are living separately but apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
                          What do you mean by you are living separately but apart?
                          “Separate but apart” if you google it there are more
                          detailed explanations. In my case it is basically because we are still in the same house, yet we don’t sleep together, have intercourse, etc.. basically residing in the same home with no reasonable prospect of reconciliation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wid View Post
                            I have now decided that any issues that are prefaced by “can I talk to you..” or that aren’t concerning basic logistics if necessary I am requesting that it is sent via email. It would likely put an end to it anyway.
                            Be clear with the ex that, unless it is an emergency, all communication should be via email going forward (if not already). That you will respond to child related concerns as soon as reasonably possible.

If the ex confronts you about something, politely request that she send it by email. This is to allow you time to properly consider the request. The ex will likely balk and continue to confront you on it, and if they do, you listen politely and then say you will send her an email shortly with your decision (unless it is an urgent matter).

When writing emails, park you emotions at the door and write like you are writing to a judge. Polite, civil, business oriented.

Comment

Thanks for the clear outline.

Since spending some time reading on this site it looks as if this is a pretty common dynamic in higher conflict situations. It really is a shame. I have stopped all communication that is deeper than a hello or a quick comments (aka, I bought some lunch stuff for the kids). It is sad.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X