Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyers

I found a lawyer with 13 years experience. Long story short he says he has 1 year family law experience. I said you said 13. He meant criminal. $300 hr and almost 2K gone. A legal aid lawyer is probably more experienced. Looks like that I will have to work on my own and use his "knowledge" despite paying him.

I had bad luck when I was calling lawyers weeks ago. One lady lost her train of thought. Other said he is busy and don't like to be annoyed (by emails/calls)

There is one charging $180 because she has only 2 years experience but still better than this one.

There is an organization where you pay some money and they find you a lawyer with minimum 1 year experience

Gather all your documents and organize them into a chronological order, so you have the complete story and then Start looking for another lawyer.

I believe it a good idea to interview any potential lawyer by going in for the usual free 30 min consult. Then ask relevant questions, such as how long have you been practicing Family Law? Also go on the computer and look the lawyer up and usually they will tell you lots about the lawyer.

If you feel this current lawyer is useless and you have already wasted $2k stop now. We used a young lawyer and he was great. Accurate, concise and always available.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
      If you feel this current lawyer is useless and you have already wasted $2k stop now. We used a young lawyer and he was great. Accurate, concise and always available.
      I've had exactly the same experience lately... PM me if you'd like a recommendation in Ottawa.

Comment

Only lawyer I know and used in the Ottawa area is in Hawesbury. Our case was in L' Original court district. Many lawyers in Ottawa only deal with the Ottawa court house.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iceberg View Post
          I found a lawyer with 13 years experience. Long story short he says he has 1 year family law experience. I said you said 13. He meant criminal. $300 hr and almost 2K gone. A legal aid lawyer is probably more experienced. Looks like that I will have to work on my own and use his "knowledge" despite paying him.

I had bad luck when I was calling lawyers weeks ago. One lady lost her train of thought. Other said he is busy and don't like to be annoyed (by emails/calls)

There is one charging $180 because she has only 2 years experience but still better than this one.

There is an organization where you pay some money and they find you a lawyer with minimum 1 year experience
          I would look at the one with the 2 years experience. Being new in the field she may be hungry to build her reputation. Face it we all have to start somewhere in a job, even lawyers.

Older lawyers may rest on their laurels a bit more and are probably more jaded and old fashioned. You need a lawyer who believes custody issues shouldn't be settled by the sex of the parent and I think a newer, younger lawyer may be a better option but that's IMHO.

See if you can find any of her cases on Canlii and see if you like they way she represents her clients and her tactics in the court room.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X