Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you have no medical/dental benefits and you have children with health concerns, then go toodle down to the local Tim Horton's and apply as a supervisor or manager.

You'll work like a dog for your 30-35000/year, BUT you will get access to the benefit plan AND make more than you would with max EI.

Assuming both you and your partner are receiving max benefits, you are pulling in close to 45,000/year NET. If either of you are receiving LESS than max EI...it makes the argument even more compelling to suck it up and make an immediate return to the workforce at whatever you can find.

If your EI equals LESS than full time hours at minimum wage (so unless you are making more than 15,000-18,000/year, you are better off working flipping burgers.)

Comment

You are not the first person to come here with the mobility argument. You all give this, that and the other reason to rationalize your move. None of you give enough weight to removing the other parent from the kids's lives.

We've heard it all. My favourite is the fantasy world plans for feably attempting to make up the access time.

It's all designed to make you feel better about what you are attempting to do, but at the end of all your weak assed arguments what's left is that you are removing the children from the other parent.

Keep on coming with more and more and more reasons why it's OK if you must. Then you can start in with what the kids are missing by not being allowed to move when you realize the burden you are facing and pretty much have to give up on the idea.

When you had kids with him you tied yourself to him until the kids are adults.

I don't think you are doing this out of malice and I certainly don't think you have been hostile. But I don't like your chances in court if it comes to that. And personally I've yet to hear a persuasive argument that supports such a move.

Comment

So what if the other parent has left the province 4 months at a time? Why is that ok?

Comment

That's something you would use in your arguments to ALLOW you to move. THAT would help strengthen your argument. You never mentioned it before. Still doesn't change things overmuch, but little things like that would help make your case stronger.

Here's the facts....

IF the other parent is involved in their lives AT ALL, moving is difficult, no matter how much of a screwup the other parent might be.

If that parent exercises most, if not all of their access, you get closer towards impossible.

IF that parent uses all their access, is involved with the children's lives (school, sports, etc) and can prove it...you have NO CHANCE of moving short of getting them to agree.

It's progressively more difficult to pull off being allowed a move, the more involved the other parent is. IF they have half a brain in their head, or a halfway competent lawyer, you're hosed.

Comment

Originally posted by momwishingmobility View Post
            I am not doing this for myself. We(my partner and I) have 4 children between the 2 of us that we are trying to support. we try our hardest to provide for them. We go without so they can have the things they nedd and want. We are not ablt to provide medical and dental for the children. there are some things that are covered by msi but not all. My 4 year old has had numerous surgey's. I have been the one to go with her to the hospital and stay for weeks. It is very heart breaking to tell my kids that they can't take dance or whatever. When I have asked my ex to help pay with them he turns them down. I am sorry if I seem hostile. I am not wanting to do this for me.
            are some kids from a previous relationship that your partner had? Does he have custody of them? If not where do they live?

Comment

My partner has a daughter from a previous marriage. She is in University in BC staying in BC with his aunt. We have a 5 month old baby. I have looked at working at timmys or mcdonalds. With me going to work and not being a stay at home mom brings other expenses such as day care and travel expenses. yes i know that I can get subsidity for day care but it is still alot for the 3 kids.

Comment

We would like to move the children out west so we can provide the children a better quality of living.
                Curious of what your idea of 'a better quality of living' means?

Comment

We currently are both on EI
                  With me going to work and not being a stay at home mom brings other expenses such as day care and travel expenses
                  I'm confused now? Is the new partner working or on EI? Why can't the new partner watch the kiddos while you work an opposite shift and vice versa?

Yes it sucks, but if you work an evening shift, it frees him up to look for or work a day shift. Or the other way around.

Been there, done that. It blows. However sometimes it is necessary.

Comment

Mobility Granted!

After months of going to court I have been granted mobility. Just thought I would share! Thanks for the advice or no advice.

Comment

After months of going to court I have been granted mobility. Just thought I would share! Thanks for the advice or no advice.
                      Awesome: The gloat and the parting shot pretty much confirm what we thought about you all-along.

It's a shame: Your kids deserve better.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary M View Post
                        Awesome: The gloat and the parting shot pretty much confirm what we thought about you all-along.

It's a shame: Your kids deserve better.

Cheers!

Gary

This was not my intention there were many other factors which were not included in any of the things I had written......My kids do do deserve better and it is the life I have provided for them and will continue to do so for them. Everything I do is for them. Their father has basically replaced them, and also has another child in which he choses not to have contact with. HIs current gf is being charged with assult with a weapon on him and there is sooooo much more but nothing that I feel I have to explain.
                        I was simply stating that sometimes just sometimes this is what is in the best interest of the children.

Comment

Hi Momwishingmobility
                          I just wanted to say congrats. I hope all goes well for your and your family. Sometimes we have to make these kinds of hard choices and yeah folks that happens and many of us have had to do similar.
                          You took a kicking in this thread and I'm sorry that happened. divorce is never easy on anyone and esp the kids so i appaud her wanting something more for them.

Comment

Thank you! You have no idea how nice it was to read your post!

Comment

I just know what that is like as had to go through it and likely will again soon. what alot of others missed in the thread was your desire to provide for these children. EI and the like doesnt last forever and if you were on other forms of assistance then they still would have beat you up about it saying you should be working etc. Dammed if you do damned if you don't. I am all for equal parenting etc but sometimes life doesnt treat us well or fair. There are alot around here that choose to attack with using there own resentments and that is unfair.
                              Its true you should consider making concessions that you have already stated and try to stick to those plans as best you can. Too many a time personal vendettas get in the way of shared parenting.

Comment

Sounds like bio Dad didn't do a very good job of being a parent, or of contesting your move. If he had done either of those things, you wouldn't be moving.

Hopefully this works out better for your kids.

Good luck.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X