Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:45 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road
Default Communication with lawyer during court appearances

From what I understand, most, if not all, court appearances are done virtually now on the computer. During my appearances, I would discreetly slip notes to my lawyer with information, to either provide instruction on the spot or to clarify any misrepresented facts.

How is this done when court is now virtual? When represented, I know it looks terrible to pipe up.

This question is relevant for when in-person appearances resume. My lawyer has moved away. She knows my case (and its history) and I am satisfied with her, but I am less comfortable with her not being "physically" present in court when needed.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:20 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default Communication with lawyer during court appearances

Im sure you can text back and forth or your lawyer may have a program she would use. You may be getting ahead of yourself thoughif she moved away, there is no guarantee she will take your file. She may recommend you have someone local. Not to mention the additional costs if you end up having to appear in person and she travels.

ETA: if your lawyer allows you to pass notes or make comments then I question how much they know your case. My husbands lawyer told him that once the judge sat down he was not to speak, gesture, write or make any moves towards the lawyer. He was to sit and be quiet and let the lawyer do his job.

Last edited by rockscan; 06-13-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:33 AM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

During my virtual arbitration my lawyers and I emailed back and forth. They responded quickly and this was extremely effective.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:35 AM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Ask your lawyer! They may have a preference.