Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2022, 07:43 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,871
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by janet612 View Post
ummmm tried a lawyer and got screwed over.

Isn't this forum for advice from Anonymous strangers on the internet???

Not all lawyers are bad and depending on what the paperwork says, it may not be final.

Is there an option for an advocate or accessibility support? If you require supports in other areas of your life you may require them for this and you are legally entitled to them. As someone else noted, you may qualify for legal aid.

And while this is an anonymous forum only a couple people here are lawyers and they dont post often. As we arent lawyers, our advice is not sound. Someone could tell you something completely wrong and you would then end up in a worse situation as a result.

When someone says get a lawyer it normally means your case is complicated and too tricky for a bunch of nobodies to provide anything helpful. Duty Counsel at the courthouse is free and depending on your disability, there may be groups in your community that can assist as advocates. There may also be an accessibility support worker at your courthouse who can provide assistance as well. Those would be a good first calls.

In the end, if you were screwed over, you can also report the lawyer to the law society and have them reprimanded professionally.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Stillbreathing Stillbreathing is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 708
Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

Is your ex still out of the country?
Is your matter still before the courts or do you have a final order that has dealt with all issues?
A divorce can be granted without consent during ongoing litigation if 1) the parties have been separated for a year and 2) a judge orders that the application for a divorce can be separated from the other issues.

If you feel that your rights were harmed in any way the court does have remedies for that and you can bring the issue back to court.

You have the option of being represented by a lawyer or being self represented or hiring a lawyer on an as needed basis as a consultant only or to only prepare certain aspects of your case.

You can also search the website canlii for cases that may be similar to yours,

Sorry this has happened to you. Your case sounds as though it has various layers of complexity and the best person to advise you on how to move forward would be a lawyer ( whether paid or legal aid or duty counsel).

Do you have a trusted friend or relative who could help you review your file to help you understand what happened?
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consent Motion to Change Form 15C, or 15D kidsRworthit Divorce & Family Law 0 05-18-2022 11:13 AM
Ex only consent to travel if I consent almostdivorced2017 Divorce & Family Law 18 01-22-2019 07:05 PM
Do you need a signed consent to file for Divorce? honest X Divorce & Family Law 3 04-30-2010 05:34 PM
Consent Order - Ex Not Complying Repeatedly serrona Divorce & Family Law 1 12-30-2006 01:20 AM
Keeping Divorced Dads at a Distance Decent Dad Political Issues 8 07-01-2006 12:13 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.