Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:11 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Your ex will get spoken to at the SC/TMC by the judge for not having an offer to settle. The whole point of the conference (and all conferences to be honest) is to settle. And if your offer is reasonable, all the better for you.

Is your ex self represented?
Old 04-12-2022, 09:13 PM

ottawaparent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Your ex will get spoken to at the SC/TMC by the judge for not having an offer to settle. The whole point of the conference (and all conferences to be honest) is to settle. And if your offer is reasonable, all the better for you.

Is your ex self represented?
I thought so too. They are represented by a lawyer.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:16 PM

Odd that their lawyer hasnt pushed for one. The package you received was complete right? No pages missing or other attachments? Did their lawyer offer to meet to discuss before the conference? My husbands ex was self repped but had a lawyer for the SC. Her OTC was outrageous but her lawyer met with my husbands lawyer and they met in the hallway back and forth to come to an agreement outside the OTC. Could be the lawyer may make that overture?

Or your ex could think they are completely reasonable and wont make one. Which wont bode well. This may work in your favour!
Old 04-12-2022, 09:24 PM

ottawaparent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Odd that their lawyer hasnt pushed for one. The package you received was complete right? No pages missing or other attachments? Did their lawyer offer to meet to discuss before the conference? My husbands ex was self repped but had a lawyer for the SC. Her OTC was outrageous but her lawyer met with my husbands lawyer and they met in the hallway back and forth to come to an agreement outside the OTC. Could be the lawyer may make that overture?

Or your ex could think they are completely reasonable and wont make one. Which wont bode well. This may work in your favour!
nothing missing, they had TABs for other irrelevant things no reference to a TAB for an offer to settle all or part of issues. What is also worrying is that the brief is written more of an affidavit for motion than a settlement conference. no meeting is arranged, settlement conference is scheduled online
Old 04-12-2022, 09:52 PM

I want to say this is a good thing since it appears either her lawyer is an idiot or she is stupidly directing them. But then again, you waste your time for the conference. Although if you are self repping, take comfort in knowing she is wasting money needlessly!
Old 04-13-2022, 08:56 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

My lawyer never put a time limit. If the matter goes to trial, and you win, you can point back to the offer to settle....saying "This offer was live since 2016" so you may be able to count your costs dating back to then where the other party should have signed. If you cut the offer, you can't point back to it when counting your costs.

With that said, costs are not guaranteed. Ironically, judges are hesitant to award costs in the highest conflict cases---saying they don't want to add more fuel to an existing fire. Even if costs are awarded, they are rarely on 100% recovery...its more like half. So you spend $200k in legal fees, and win a cost award of $90k. You are still out $110k.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:02 PM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But then again, you waste your time for the conference.
This was my impression of my case conference and settlement conference. Just a waste of time and money and a chance for the lawyers to run up the bill.