Custody change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody change

I have read some horror stories on CANLII about parents behaving badly and this mostly has to do with access; that is what makes it to trial.

When access is 50/50 what is needed to change decision making authority.
    Is showing the other parent is incompetent, acting unilaterally sometimes and does not participating enough? Married couple have these problems so it is normal I guess.

When access is 100% with one parent I read a CANLII saying it was unnatural for that parent not to have the decision making rights for them.
    Anyone have links?
    Is 80/20 enough?

Originally posted by NewDay View Post
    I have read some horror stories on CANLII about parents behaving badly and this mostly has to do with access; that is what makes it to trial.

When access is 50/50 what is needed to change decision making authority.
    Is showing the other parent is incompetent, acting unilaterally sometimes and does not participating enough? Married couple have these problems so it is normal I guess.

When access is 100% with one parent I read a CANLII saying it was unnatural for that parent not to have the decision making rights for them.
    Anyone have links?
    Is 80/20 enough?
    You basically need to prove the other parent is:

1. Non responsive; or
    2. Incompetent in making or contributing to the decision; or
    3. Just disagreeing to create conflict and preventing a decision being made for the child(ren) that will impact their health and/or well being.

You basically have to prove the other parent is impacting the children's best interests.

Also, you have to have a REASON to go to court. 99% of children are healthy, enrolled in school and often the need to wield the "Sword of Sole Custody". Now, if you have a child with special needs (education or medical or both) this is where things get complex.

But, if you are going to court for "power" with no "objective"... Say like to get your child vaccinated by COVID-19 and the other parent has objected to the child being vaccinated then you have a REASON to go to court to get a decision made.

But, often, the court will not remove joint-custody... They will just order that the responsible parent is now responsible for vaccinations and narrow the issue. They don't just throw "sole custody" around these days.

Go to court with no reason other than panic about the "future" and nothing that needs to be determined (like vaccination, surgery or a school change) then, get ready to get burned hard by a judge.

You need a lawyer... They can guide you on things like this. They will ask you these questions and explain in detail why you need to have a REASON to go to court.

Courts deal with decisions that need to be determined NOW... Not hypothetical anxious fears that in the future something may happen. They will order costs against you and say... come back when you have a real dispute that needs resolution.

Get a good lawyer.

Comment

Not looking to reduce access. It would be welcome but they don't want that.

Looking to be the decision maker for the child 100% with me, yes. Education and activities; medical I cross my fingers and hope not to have the need to go to court.

Looking for final decision making for the other child, even if I got that...I can't think of a way to get the other parent to be responsible when the kids in their care, no burn marks or by chance lost limbs yet. Can't document life in their home for evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
        I hate to repeat myself, but most court orders and separation agreements have a dispute resolution clause. If you disagree on decision-making, you seek mediation. The court does not want to re-see you after you have litigated. They expect parents to be grown ups and figure things out, rather than constantly running to a judge or trying to remove the other parent from decision-making or access.
        Been there, done that. Kumbya didn't work.
        Write your MP to tell them how things should be.
        Lawyers do want to see you back in court.
        Reasonable people don't need a final court order.

Soooo looking at case law to determine if my argument is reasonable.

Comment

Custody change

There was a poster on here years ago—Dadx5–who went through something similar on decision making and change in custody. You want to search him and his posts as he may have touched on this in his case. Basically his ex was preventing his daughter from doing a lot of necessary things and getting necessary care. It was a long process but he finally found success. There may be something in his posts that could help.

Comment

thanks. I read Dadx5 stuff. His was more severe and he was able to get CAS involved.
            All the overtly bad stuff she already did to the one kid during the marriage and during proceeding or to the other kid.

So I have sole access on consent and remember reading a case where the lawyer argued that after time that also meant custody. I don't want to do it to be mean, I want to avoid disagreement.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X