Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2022, 02:13 AM
Leszek Leszek is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 17
Leszek is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to ensure matter is closed.

I am divorced. My only child (son) is turning 18. Ex refused to update child support payments for many years. I will give her more than is owed for those years as part of obtaining some form of final release. She'll agree. I have well overpaid my share of Section 7 expenses. On top of that, my son receives good chunk of pocket money monthly via bank transfer which I do not claim as part of child support or Section 7. Spousal Support has been paid in full per separation agreement. Every year I have provided full disclosure on my income. I understand that once the child support arears are agreed to and paid, there is no reason for any lawyer to ever open up the case for child support/Section 7 expenses prior to my son turning 18 or spousal support that I paid in the past.

Before I make next move in my life, it is very important that I know this part of my life is over. I understand that nothing is absolute but what is the best thing to do, to ensure nobody opens this up again? I am planning to spend several months in Europe each year. My son is 18, so he can deal with any matters concerning him from now on without my presence. Attending to Court matters on issues prior to June 2020 and reproducing documentation for past years would be a major disruption to my European plans. What is the best thing to do, to protect myself?
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:28 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,870
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

You could try to get a final order on consent but if your ex disagrees two years from now and decides to take you to court, you will still have to deal with it. As long as he is a child of the marriage (which he is until he finishes full time school) she has the power to take you to court.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does it matter who files first? dealingWithEvil Divorce & Family Law 4 12-24-2021 01:26 PM
How do I ensure that opposing counsels are not colluding ? plainNamedDad44 Divorce & Family Law 12 10-22-2018 12:09 AM
Open vs closed mediation Me_too Divorce & Family Law 7 05-28-2011 02:25 AM
Going to Trial on contempt matter Nadia Divorce & Family Law 7 01-20-2011 11:58 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.