Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse lied about residency so he could file

Hi there,

My spouse filed for divorce in a different province to me. He has been abroad for years so he lied about living there for a year. Although we do have property there. It's Alberta and the law is an absolute nightmare to navigate. Can I get the divorce moved to my province?

Would he get in trouble? That's the last thing I wan't to do.

Comment

If you don’t have kids then it would be reasonable for him to file in the province where his property is located, especially if he doesn’t live in the country. You could argue to have it move jurisdictions to where you live but if you want a share of his property in that province then you may not be successful.

If you are looking for just a divorce then you can reach an agreement and avoid court. If you want a share of the property or spousal support then you will need court. Note though that if he lives elsewhere then getting spousal support from him will be difficult and you may end up spending more in legal fees than you get. You have to decide which is better.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        If you don�t have kids then it would be reasonable for him to file in the province where his property is located, especially if he doesn�t live in the country. You could argue to have it move jurisdictions to where you live but if you want a share of his property in that province then you may not be successful.

If you are looking for just a divorce then you can reach an agreement and avoid court. If you want a share of the property or spousal support then you will need court. Note though that if he lives elsewhere then getting spousal support from him will be difficult and you may end up spending more in legal fees than you get. You have to decide which is better.
        Thank you for your advice

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X