Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 PM
StillPaying StillPaying is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 649
StillPaying has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

I'm no Sherlock - I'd let police and cas do their job.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 PM
Kart321 Kart321 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 11
Kart321 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
I've dealt with CAS before- which city are you in?

Also- please use them- they are great resources. I would call and ask to have an appointment with a case worker or supervisor at a scheduled time. They will usually allot about 1/2hr to speak with you. Tell them your history, if you've been involved with CAS in any other City, and ask if they can monitor your situation.

Good luck.

Do you have legal counsel? or access to a legal aid clinic?
Thank you. I do have an appointment booked with CAS and I have legal counsel.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2022, 01:26 PM
pinkHouses pinkHouses is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 579
pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart321 View Post
CAS had given me a disclaimer saying they don't deal with access and custody which is why I didn't bother asking. I have never dealt with CAS before. They seemed bombarded with cases when I called them about my son so I don't want to take up their time anymore than I absolutely have to. But thank you for your input.
CAS reports are used in courts for access.

The way CAS runs is that they are like little franchises, the more cases they get the more money they get, that doesn't mean that they do not employ caring and competent Social Workers. A results based thing as I see it. A cynical but accurate view.

Don't feel bad about "bothering" them about this. Your concern and query is legitimate and important, you don't have a choice but to enquire.

Doesn't your ex care about this type of abuse? No matter who the abuser was I would be enraged at the abuser and on the lookout for protecting my child if the abuse was proven. Hidden cameras, the works if I suspected something.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Tayken's Avatar
Tayken Tayken is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,510
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default

CAS if there is an issue will bring the matter before the court and remove the child under the Child and Family Services Act. Every time CAS tells you that the child is not supposed to see the other parent or someone else question why they are not bringing the matter forward to the court so that course of action can be taken.

CAS creates so much unnecessary conflict with "advice" and non-action on files. No CAS worker should give "advice" on access or custody. Unless CAS has an order in hand... They have no authority to instruct any parent to remove access from the other.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:26 PM
iona6656 iona6656 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,034
iona6656 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
CAS if there is an issue will bring the matter before the court and remove the child under the Child and Family Services Act. Every time CAS tells you that the child is not supposed to see the other parent or someone else question why they are not bringing the matter forward to the court so that course of action can be taken.

CAS creates so much unnecessary conflict with "advice" and non-action on files. No CAS worker should give "advice" on access or custody. Unless CAS has an order in hand... They have no authority to instruct any parent to remove access from the other.
this is what I find so odd. When I dealt with CAS_the caseworker who interviewed me said IF I was to go back to my ex- they would intervene and potentially remove the child from my care.

They never gave me advice. They just provided me with resources - and more importantly drilled me on what my plans were in terms of parenting- there was heavy emphasis on "you better not take that child back to the house".
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-31-2022, 09:52 PM
pinkHouses pinkHouses is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 579
pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
this is what I find so odd. When I dealt with CAS_the caseworker who interviewed me said IF I was to go back to my ex- they would intervene and potentially remove the child from my care.

They never gave me advice. They just provided me with resources - and more importantly drilled me on what my plans were in terms of parenting- there was heavy emphasis on "you better not take that child back to the house".
What you don't want is some CAS worker that also happens to have mental health issues / control issues turn against you so play helpless. Their ego writes checks they can't cash.

Lie to them and say.
"My lawyer told me that no matter what I must follow the order of the judge in the order even if a social worker ordered me not too, they were very emphatic that I could lose custody. I am afraid, can you send me a letter telling me what I am to do?"

My guess is you won't hear from them. I am sure there is a better response than that "Did you file the motion to have access changed?"

.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2022, 09:44 AM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
blinkandimgone blinkandimgone is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,561
blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough
Default

This is terrible advice. Do NOT lie to your case worker. You can simply ask for the information in writing without lying to them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2022, 10:10 AM
pinkHouses pinkHouses is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 579
pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
This is terrible advice. Do NOT lie to your case worker. You can simply ask for the information in writing without lying to them.
Sorry, that doesn't work with some personality types. It is like you have never benefited by a negative experience with such a person.

It is good advice but here is a better modified version: take out the part about "social worker" that keeps your lawyer from getting on the wrong side of them and keeps them out of a pinch.

It is also good advice for any dealings where you do not know the person and they are looking to take an authoritative stance that they are not entitled to take without the correct paper work. Deflect, remove yourself from the disagreement. It really depends on knowing the person you are dealing with.

Lying to you Case Worker about you sending your kids to school or not is a bad move but something like this to protect yourself is smart. As you read Iona ran into a CAS worker that threatened them. Not a person I would want to be dealing with without record of the conversation.

Quote:
"you better not take that child back to the house".
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-01-2022, 10:18 AM
pinkHouses pinkHouses is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 579
pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Will summarize my post above:
What type of CAS worker verbally threatens their client for following a court order?

Maybe there is more of a story there behind the threat but.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2022, 04:36 PM
iona6656 iona6656 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,034
iona6656 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkHouses View Post
Sorry, that doesn't work with some personality types. It is like you have never benefited by a negative experience with such a person.

It is good advice but here is a better modified version: take out the part about "social worker" that keeps your lawyer from getting on the wrong side of them and keeps them out of a pinch.

It is also good advice for any dealings where you do not know the person and they are looking to take an authoritative stance that they are not entitled to take without the correct paper work. Deflect, remove yourself from the disagreement. It really depends on knowing the person you are dealing with.

Lying to you Case Worker about you sending your kids to school or not is a bad move but something like this to protect yourself is smart. As you read Iona ran into a CAS worker that threatened them. Not a person I would want to be dealing with without record of the conversation.
lol. they did not threaten me- when I put quotes around something it usually means I'm paraphrasing.

They flat out indicated that it wasn't safe to take my kid back to an environment where a threat was made. That's not a threat- it's good child protection.

I'm with blink- don't like to a CAS worker. Don't lie to anyone who has influence on what may happen with your kid(s)- more times than not- you'll get caught out.

Personally- I found CAS really helpful and kind to work with.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Access and Custody - pending domestic assault trial Phoenix91 Divorce & Family Law 3 08-20-2020 08:58 PM
Police undertaking overrides order for access? formyGirls Divorce & Family Law 8 05-23-2011 03:32 PM
Custody and Access Decision-Making and the Breastfeeding Child: Cavannah v. Johne WorkingDAD Divorce & Family Law 8 05-03-2011 10:55 AM
Have I given up my rights as a parent? brokendad Common Law Issues 3 11-05-2009 07:57 PM
Case Conference Info tycooke Divorce & Family Law 9 07-12-2006 09:11 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.