This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits

If a common-law relationship is over should the spouse be entitled to the full range of benefits that he has through his company? Of course, the child they have together should be but her too? even though she has her own benefits but maybe not "as good"?
    Any ideas, experiences?

I was in a common law relationship for 18 years. When we split up we both removed each other from our work benefits. There was no obligation to keep each other on the coverage.

Comment

Does it cost you extra to keep her on your benefits plan? Since you have your child included I would imagine you have a family plan of some sort, maybe the generous thing to do is to keep her on with the proviso that anything not covered by your benefits is her responsibility.

Comment

I would also add in that in the event you have if you have a significant other, you can remove her from the benefits at this time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X