This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids/Education Costs & the Law

I think that many of you will find this article very interesting........

Children must pay for school, court rules
    KIRK MAKIN

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Children of divorced parents should foot a major portion of the bill for financing their postsecondary education, the Ontario Court of Appeal said yesterday.

The court ruled 2-1 that rather than seeing their estranged parents stuck with the bill, two Toronto brothers must spend not just their summer-job earnings, but a substantial portion of a nest egg left them by their deceased grandfather, on their university costs.

The ruling places a greater burden on grown children to take responsibility for their educational choices and expenses, family law experts argued yesterday.

"I think the Court of Appeal is essentially saying that kids must contribute all they earn to their education after taking out reasonable living expenses," Grant Gold said.

The Toronto family lawyer added: "This puts a real onus on children to contribute to their education."

University of Toronto law professor Carol Rogerson said that the significance of the ruling lies in its emphasis on the diversion of a child's capital assets into his or her education expenses.

The case arose from an application by a Toronto woman, Deborah Lewi, to modify a long-standing child-support order. Ms. Lewi wanted her ex-husband -- Harvey Lewi, a senior executive at IBM whose salary exceeds $180,000 annually -- to foot the full cost of a university education for their children, Brandon and Darren.

The couple separated in 1996, and Ms. Lewi has seen her fortunes and health deteriorate steadily since.

Mr. Lewi, who has no relationship with his children, argued that he should not be required to pay extra educational expenses beyond what he already pays in regular child support.

In a 2002 settlement, his child-support payments were set at $2,073 a month per child.

One of the brothers, 21-year-old Darren, is a University of Toronto student who commutes to school from his mother's home. Brandon, 19, lives in residence at the University of Western Ontario and intends to attend an expensive business school.

In their majority judgment yesterday, Mr. Justice Russell Juriansz and Mr. Justice Robert Blair said that decisions about who pays for postsecondary education normally depend on an assessment of what a family would most likely have done had it stayed together.

They said that trial judges should balance the means of each family member in arriving at a fair split of education costs.

"In my view, the amount of child support that a parent is ordered to pay should be determined, as a general rule, on the expectation that a child with means -- in this case, independent assets -- will contribute something from those means toward his or her postsecondary school education," the majority said. "The extent of that contribution depends on the circumstances of the case."

They calculated that Darren will probably use up just under half of his $41,821 in capital assets by the end of his university career. Because of his higher anticipated expenses, they said that Brandon will likely deplete his $41,822 nest egg by significantly more.

In dissenting reasons, Madam Justice Eileen Gillese said it was unfair to deplete the children's savings so dramatically. "In the circumstances, the amounts create a disincentive for children to save gifts of money," she remarked.

But the majority judges stressed that Brandon, in particular, "is an adult who is responsible for the choices he has made. He has chosen to go to university out of town at much greater cost."

Prof. Rogerson said it was disturbing to see the court single out a child -- as it did with Brandon -- to bear a major responsibility for an educational choice, since that isn't what would typically happen if a family remained intact.

"It's a very individualistic view of family relationships," Prof. Rogerson said. "The whole basis behind child-support obligations is to duplicate what would have happened had a marriage not broken down."

Originally posted by Gwen
    "It's a very individualistic view of family relationships," Prof. Rogerson said. "The whole basis behind child-support obligations is to duplicate what would have happened had a marriage not broken down."
    I am not a fan of Rogerson - not at all. This does not help her case. What world does this woman live in??

This has always been my question - who was to say what the parents would have done should the relationship NOT have broken down? I can tell you without a doubt, my children would have been paying for their own education - as my ex and I both did. We decided that when our children were infants ... that we would 'help out' but they would be primarily responsible.

Irks me that divorced people are so much more on the hook financially than married people.

Comment

Every person I know, including myself, paid their own way in post-secondary school. Parents did, what parents always did, and that was provide some support where necessary, applicable and affordable: whether it was a ride to school in another city, some extra random cash, small savings to help out, a peice of furniture, some fun money from an Aunt or Uncle, and on and on. Mainly it was OSAP. Nobody I knew was granted full scholarships from their folks. What a disinsentive to acheive.

Non-elected judges without public input, normally with a complete lack of common sense, usually rule against parents or at least, the paying parent. This time they did right. Enough is enough already.

This line here, IMO, the biggest crock of sh*t I have ever read

" The whole basis behind child-support obligations is to duplicate what would have happened had a marriage not broken down."

Right.

Comment

Originally posted by workingthruit
        Irks me that divorced people are so much more on the hook financially than married people.
        My wife and I had a great discussion the other day about how divorced people, especially the recipient person of CS/SS and especially women (sorry ladies) have become an elite member of our little society.

Currently my wife has less rights, less money and less value in society as compared to my ex-wife. To my wife, the system is a slap in the face to hard working women with dignity and respect. As wife states "It is better to get your Mrs than your Msc." At times she is embarassed to be a woman.

Apparantly too, children of divorce have more rights than intact familes. And second children are basically below dogs when it comes to rights.

What a world we live in. It boggles my mind.

Comment

This has long been one of my complaints with the child support legislation because if I am not mistaken, there is no legal requirement for non-divorced parents to financially support adult children - in effect it discriminates based on marital status.
          Last edited by Divorcemanagement; 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Thats a good point Sean.

LV

Comment

Thanks LV - I also believe (if I am not mistaken) that discrimination based on marital status is one of the things we are supposed to be protected against under Part 1.3.(1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Further, I believe Provincial Human Rights legislation is designed to mirror the federal act.

Just sayin...

Where's the lawyer!! Where's the lawyer!! Legal wisdom sought on issue that has long been a bugaboo of mine

Comment

Canadaian Charter of rights and freedoms also

LV

Comment

So it begs the question: why hasn't this section of the Child Support legislation been challenged on those grounds.. the Canadian Human Rights Act has prohibited grounds for discrimination and I guess that perhaps a law isn't a prohibited ground... flat ground, grassy knowl.. you choose.

Comment

Its a political hot potato. Could be doom to the political party in power.

Comment

All in all though, My personal opinion is that if you can afford it, its one of the best gifts you could give your child or children, a good quality education.

Comment

this is the question that I was asking last week - the whole discrimination of it - everyone that I knew put themselves through school - and most of their parents were together. If you are an adult, then that should be that - not saying not to help out but the whole idea of entitlement and the fact that such a large portion of the coming generation is from divorce.

Comment

I agree - if the money is there and parents want to contribute, go nuts. But to require one thing of parents who are divorced and another for parents who are married, it's just plain wrong.

Comment

It should be consistent across the board regardless of situation. Somewhat of a contradictory system in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Divorcemanagement
                              So it begs the question: why hasn't this section of the Child Support legislation been challenged on those grounds.. the Canadian Human Rights Act has prohibited grounds for discrimination and I guess that perhaps a law isn't a prohibited ground... flat ground, grassy knowl.. you choose.
                              They have. And they all lost.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X