Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

I used to get the travel consents done at the MPs office free of charge. You will both have to go in, not together, and make the declaration in front of the commissioner of oaths there.

Also, the form that is completed requires itinerary - ie, dates, locations, contact information of the resort/home, etc.

Without knowing where the kids are going and when, how can you provide any informed consent?

I would simply reply that you cannot provide her a notarized document of consent without the details of the trip.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

commissioner for oaths would do the trick, notarizing it is overkill
Old 06-19-2015, 04:14 PM

NeverGreen is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I love this site and I appreciate the advice,

So heres where Im at;

Ive offered to print a letter I found on a government website (sample form for consent to travel) fill it out, sign it, notarize it, and give it to her.

Shes still got a problem with this....

Shes saying we both have to go in to the same lawyer and both of us have to notarize this letter.

Ive been advised if I provide a notarized letter to her that this would be enough,

Is this correct? Or should I be going to see her lawyer? I dont understand why she would need her signature notarized as its proof that I signed it.

Thanks again,
Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Is she going with the grandparents?? if not then she may have to provide a letter also and wants you to suck up the costs but attach her name to your letter instead of having her own.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGreen View Post
Thanks guys I love this site and I appreciate the advice,

So heres where Im at;

Ive offered to print a letter I found on a government website (sample form for consent to travel) fill it out, sign it, notarize it, and give it to her.

Shes still got a problem with this....

Shes saying we both have to go in to the same lawyer and both of us have to notarize this letter.

Ive been advised if I provide a notarized letter to her that this would be enough,

Is this correct? Or should I be going to see her lawyer? I dont understand why she would need her signature notarized as its proof that I signed it.

Thanks again,
She is wrong.

I take it she isn't going with the grandparents either and is doing a consent letter as well. She is probably reading that each parent should sign the letter when the kids travel with a non-parent. Two letters (one from each of you) is just as effective as 1 letter from both of you. Yeah, it may mean more paper for the grandparents, but oh well......

If she is going than you don't need her signature at all. All that is required is a letter from you.

On the other hand, if she wants to go through the rigamarole of getting her lawyer to prepare the letter and you just have to show up and sign it, that may be easier and cheaper for you.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

If she is using her lawyer than she would be paying for it. I would make it clear to her that you are not responsible for the cost of this. When you go to the lawyers office, before you sign, tell the lawyer that you are not paying for this, that your ex is responsible for the cost. If they try to say you have to pay, get up and leave. If she needs the letter, she needs to pay, regardless of the cost.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If you're a member of the CAA, you can get a commissioner for oaths to witness your signature there for free. Many workplaces also have commissioners for oaths - check with your HR department.

There's really no need to have a lawyer deal with this - all that needs to happen is for someone to confirm that you are the same person whose name appears on the document as a signatory. I suggest just getting it done yourself and sending the letter to her.

Do you have the itinerary yet? I think it would be wise to make sure the information for this specific trip is in the letter, rather than a general consent to have the kids travel with the grandparents anywhere anytime.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM

BlueDressInToronto is on a distinguished road

We have always just used this one:
Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad - Travel.gc.ca

I think that's what you were referring to.

I would want to make the form myself to ensure that the basic template was followed. Otherwise you need to look at every word to make sure nothing was snuck in to change the meaning. Maybe I am being a little suspicious.

To fill it out you need all the information about the trip - location, contact details, dates and in mine I even put the light details. She might be trying to have you sign it and not get a copy for your records or something?

In my mind it's all in her hands since she has yet to provide trip details to you. That's the first step she needs to do. If she hasn't done that you are not holding up anything at all.

Do you know if she's going?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM

BlueDressInToronto is on a distinguished road

Also for the most part we have used notaries not lawyers to have the forms made official.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 PM

NeverGreen is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys,

So shes reluctant to give much of an itinerary (raised eyebrow), and I finally just had to say if she needed to get her own letter then thats what shed have to do.

Another thing has arisen that Im questioning,

Quite simply, she wants a legal document saying I agree to give her parents consent to make medical decisions for our child. Also wants this notarized too.....

Ive already got the one letter notarized, Ive never heard of having to provide anything like this, from what I understand I only need to provide the letter of consent to travel.

I can supply one if its necessary thats not a big issue, but Im somewhat leery about making these kinds of agreements and getting them all done 'legally', has anyone else ever had to supply a letter consenting to this? Any advise on this one?

Thanks so much guys,