Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:41 PM

childrenand happy is on a distinguished road
Default 50/50, Shared, joint custudy.

What are these and the differences?. In Alberta.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

50-50 is a parenting schedule in which the kids have equal time with both parents. This has nothing to do with custody.

Family Law - Ministry of the Attorney General

Quote:
Child Custody and Access

What is the difference between joint and sole custody? What about shared custody?
  • Joint custody means that both parents make major decisions about the children together.
  • Sole custody means that one parent makes all major decisions about the children.
  • Children's living arrangements can vary greatly. In some cases children maintain a primary residence with one parent and visit regularly with the other. In others the children divide their time equally or approximately equally between the parents' homes.
  • Shared custody exists when children live with each parent at least 40 per cent of the time. In these circumstances, special provisions apply to the calculation of child support, depending on the amount of time children spend with each parent.

I do have an issue with the use of the word 'custody' in the last point, when it really should say residency as the parenting schedule is separate from custody which defines decision making, not residency schedule.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned

MommyTime is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
I do have an issue with the use of the word 'custody' in the last point, when it really should say residency as the parenting schedule is separate from custody which defines decision making, not residency schedule.
Each province has their own *rules* for what constitutes as what. For example, in BC there is such a thing as a defined "guardianship" that has nothing to do with custody. In ON, no such thing seems to exist for the "other half parental timeshare" that garners them some rights. Not knowledgable about each other province but willing to learn.

To the OP, what province are you from?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Op states in the initial post they are in Alberta.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

MommyTime is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, just noted. Thanks.

As I said, though, there are distinctions in each province so that would matter. I cannot provide any personal insight for Alberta. My opologies to the OP.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Parenting / Custody / Contact Orders (Parents - Variation Application)

Alberta appears to use the term 'guardianship' in a similar manner as 'custody'. This booklet should help clarify things a bit for you:

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/fjs/s...ianship_12.pdf
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM

thanks. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Well motion was heard today with joint custody awarded one week on and one week. Starts next Friday. Turns out a good lawyer we'll take you places you never thought existed I'm so stoked. When I get the final copy of the orders I we'll post more info. don't give up it gets BETTER..............
Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Banned

BF is on a distinguished road

Is joint custody what you sought? This has little to do with guardianship and / or designation of schedule... Do you believe you can make joint decisions with your ex about your child(ren)?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Banned

BF is on a distinguished road

If you can, then all's on the "even" plain and all's good... week on / week off.