Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age in which a child can influence a decision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age in which a child can influence a decision?

Hello,

My 14 year-old daughter has an opportunity to attend a school program out of town, can live with her grand-mother, for one-semester. I am the primary care-giver and support my daughter's decision. The father is refusing to allow my daughter to take this great opportunity. My question is, can he stop her from doing this and at what age can my daughter "overrule" her Dad?

Thank-you.

If she wanted to go, and you both didn't approve, could she overrule you both?

Comment

Alternatively, what age is it ok for her to overrule you?
      Last edited by blinkandimgone; 09-02-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

It's not a question of whether a child can overrule her parent(s); it's a question of what would be best for her, considering all aspects of her life (family relations, financial stability, etc, as well as schooling). A 14-year-old doesn't get to drive the bus.

What impact would this out-of-town opportunity have on her father's ability to see her? Are there financial costs associated with this programme which he would have to assume? Why is it so much better than whatever is available in her hometown? These are all more important questions than "can a 14 year old do what she wants?".

Comment

Can she over-rule you on what time she goes to bed? Is she old enough for that?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X