This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
    I think in cases like that, you can state the other parent is deceased. If possible, a notarized copy of the death certificate would make life easier as it is clear evidence. But otherwise, I doubt there would be much hassle if you stated that the ex was dead.
    I would think you have to go to court with motion to change and change order accordingly.

but it's just my guess...

Comment

Either would work. Death certificate is a legal document that would apply in place of a consent order.

Comment

Tell your friend to man up and pay. 300.00 a month is a small amount to pay.

Comment

Read the whole post.

Comment

It would one thing if her ex had a legitimate reason for not wanting his son to travel across the border, but Florida and Disney World?
            Florida is a moot point seeing she has his 'permission' to take him but now that we know she doesn't have to kiss his ass every time we want to take him somewhere south of the border it's great.

Comment

I do love a good scrappy exchange I must admit. I got burned and got NO section 7 expenses or c.o.l.a. - I'd like to get that put into the order. Is it possible? If so - how?? As for above, 5 days won't make a difference but I do agree w/the comment that new wife doesn't want any "extra's" going to the first wife/partner. That's EXACTLY how it is w/my ex's wife. She truly is a greedy bitch and one day when he screws her over (like he does everybody) she will reap what she's sown. Gotta love Karma. Too bad it takes so damn long.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead168 View Post
                but now that we know she doesn't have to kiss his ass every time we want to take him somewhere south of the border it's great.
                You don't have to kiss his ass until you do........

Like I said, you may make it across once, twice or ten times. Generally, if driving, you are more likely. But each time you are taking the chance that:

a) you will get a border guard who will ask for the consent letter as you are not the father; and

b) should dad know (and he always should know if the child is leaving the country), and not agree with the trip, it is possible he may flag the child with border and you are screwed for 6 months.

So good luck with that.

And I hope you do a better job of masking your attitude about dad around the kid then you do here, because if you aren't, you aren't doing the kid any favours.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead168 View Post
                  It would one thing if her ex had a legitimate reason for not wanting his son to travel across the border, but Florida and Disney World?
                  Florida is a moot point seeing she has his 'permission' to take him but now that we know she doesn't have to kiss his ass every time we want to take him somewhere south of the border it's great.
                  I wish you luck with this... but I surely hope you are not asked for a letter of consent because when you are, Mom is going to have to explain to the children why they can't go because she was too stubborn and stupid to get a letter from Dad.

I give you thumbs up for thinking of the children instead of how to screw over or kick the ex out of their lives! Kudos to you bud!

Comment

It really is hit and miss. For example, twice I crossed (a few years ago with my niece who has a different last name) - I had a consent letter from her mother (my sister) and one time they asked nothing and the other time they asked for the letter upon my RETURN.

Hopefully they've made some improvements there. So is it 16 or 18 (years of age) that I won't have to ask my ex for a consent letter to travel w/my son?

And what happens in a case where bio-dad has disappeared? As in, nobody knows where the hell he's gone off to? How does that work? Sadly, that's not the case w/mine but I could see it happening one day. It's not right out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                      Sadly, that's not the case w/mine
                      Sorry but that has got to be one of the worst things you can say. I truly hope you don't actually want the father out of the child's life.

Comment

It's 18.

and if Bio-Dad has disappeared, you file motion with the court dispensing with the need for obtaining his consent to travel, given he cannot be located after reasonable efforts to do so have been exhausted.

Comment

Thx NBdad.
                          And BernerFaith: don't be sorry - and "truly hope" all you like but yes, in our circumstances it would be idyllic if he had disappeared. The list of dear dad's wrong doings are far too much to go into here but they include telling child that he (dad) was a better athlete than him (when he was younger), so basically he competes w/the child (really "normal"), disposed of the child's RESP that we had since child's first few months - where you might ask? To his trustee in bankruptcy that he filed a fraud personal bankruptcy with (still before the Bankruptcy Courts), shows preference (financial and otherwise to his 2 "new" kids w/current wife), tells child (and so does his wife) that they are too broke to contribute to the one sport child is in b/c "your bitch mother takes all my money." THIS while he short pays CS (now almost 30g in arrears), renovates his house, buys new cars, and travels. His wife (while pregnant w/2nd child) was also smoking in the vehicle w/my son w/them. I did manage to put a stop to that.

Recently his wife said to my son "you tell your mom we are so broke that your dad didn't even buy me a birthday gift." Oh yes, and then there's ex's deathly ailments he shares w/child every 2 months or so. He's a bullshitter. Perhaps he has Munschhausens (I spelled that wrong). He's had "cancer, an enlarged heart, kidney stones, gastro problems etc etc". Amazing that he shares this info w/a 13 year old and still he manages to thrive.

So once again while I applaud you for being such a staunch advocate for your boyfriend who clearly is one of the normal ones - there are plenty out there, that are far from normal w/no hopes for improvement. So yes, my darling - if he were to "disappear" it would be a Godsend for all but we won't get that lucky, at least not for some time.
                          Last edited by hadenough; 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Hadenough...I can't start to understand how horrible it must be to deal with someone like that, but I just can't imagine seeing a child lose a parent... I have had many friends who lost their parents young and it is devastating to watch someone go through that.

Eventually your child will grow up and make decisions for themselves regarding Dad and he will see right through what Dad has done/ is doing, but in the mean time he has a great Mom, who he will appreciate all his life, but I am sure even though Dad puts him down or says things, he wouldn't want Dad to disappear.

We know all about the money things unfortunately... every time we have the children we hear how broke Mommy is. It really takes a toll on the kids to hear such things.

Comment

BF; thx for your reply. Another thing that came up in last 6 months. There was some talk of dad moving about 5 hrs driving distance away. You guessed it: I'd have been thrilled. His in laws live near the (then) proposed move. Like his cancer and other ailments (all imagined) he told child he might move there. It didn't happen. Recently child said "if dad had moved to "abc" I wouldn't go visit him, "screw him" - dad had told child he could TAKE the BUS to come "visit." Yeahhhh, okay - what a plan. Funny how everything is set up not to suit the CHILD. Also my son is adamant that he does NOT want dad at his graduation coming up soon. I said I'd let dad and his wife know about it so they had the option to attend (they likely wouldn't) and child flat out said "I do not want him there." So these are just a few of the situations that arise. He does go there EOW, and that seems to go okay, apart from the occasional bullshit he and his wife spew out. It is an unfortunate situation. As far as the "move" (that didn't happen) goes - by TELLING child he was considering it - he may as well have done it. Child said the same.

Luckily, child does see through dad's crap - and has elected to have a sense of humor and strong will w/regards to all of it. He's a fantastic kid. Smart, funny and kind. I will not and have not allowed for his confidence and self esteem to be undermined in any way by the likes of his father.

Comment

BernerFaith: I wonder what the "toll" is on (child/ren) hearing the "broke" story, being denied proper CS etc, but SEEING full well that the "broke" story is BULL and that "dad" does not go without anything when it comes to himself - and his wife shops CONSTANTLY. There's no shortage of food or threat of utilities being cut off over at Dad's house. Over here, we get by with the basics. Jeez not too much of a disparity in lifestyles. :s. I've had cable cut off once. Gas (had no hot water for 3 days, over a year ago) etc etc. Family Court and all the Bankruptcy BS has been very draining. A full time, un-paid job that I've had to deal with. What kind of "dad" puts their kids through all that??

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X