This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time restrictions on change motions.

Are there restrictions on how soon you can file a change motion (Rule 15)? I have heard many people quote different time frames but have seen no references?

Are they covered by the Family Law Rules or some other act/regulation?

Thanks

I will answer my own question after doing some research.

There is no specific rule that says you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you file a motion for change (Form 15) except in the case of child support payments which require six months. That does not appear to be a rule either but a policy of the Ontario Court of Justice. I got the info from calling the court.

Comment

Originally posted by kevindell View Post
      I will answer my own question after doing some research.

There is no specific rule that says you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you file a motion for change (Form 15) except in the case of child support payments which require six months. That does not appear to be a rule either but a policy of the Ontario Court of Justice. I got the info from calling the court.
      Remember a "motion to change" on any other issue has to be a "substantial" issue. Because your ex called you a moron isn't a substantial change.

Furthermore, you would probably need a FINAL ORDER to file a motion to change. It gets sketchy because you may have to appeal as well if the motion is on a temporary basis but, that will just get you to trial faster.

Motion to change are serious business and you can find yourself back re-arguing the whole damn shooting match again. Roll the dice on a motion to change (substantial change) and talk to a lot of different QUALIFIED family law lawyers prior to doing so. Judges don't take kind to those who drag people continually back to court on BS.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        Remember a "motion to change" on any other issue has to be a "substantial" issue. Because your ex called you a moron isn't a substantial change.
        I wish all this was just about name calling. It would not even concern me.

When I talked to duty counsel they said that I should proceed with an ex parte motion if she pulled another stupid stunt between now and when the motion will be heard.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X