Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice Juliebean, I too have had a positive experience with CAS. Their reports hold a lot of weight in Family Court. I found them to be both caring and objective. If I recall correctly my file was open for approx. 3 months. Still 4 years later, I hear from the social worker about once a year, just to see how we are doing. Also, if you feel the social worker is not treating you fairly they have a process where you can file a complaint with the supervisor and have another case worker assigned to your file.

Comment

WOW!! I cant beleive how much we have in common... EXCEPT I AM FEMALE going through the sam e MESS... I left my ABUSIVE relationship of 17 years 1 year and 2 months ago...I have 2 girls 13 and 11... When I finally had enough of the YELLING , PUNCHING, ect... Was January 14, 2005. I had the RCMP remove my husband from our RENTED home...Got an apartment (with my girls)left everything with him (MONITARY) that ended up being the "GHETTO". Stayed there for one month (of course I jumped right back into another relationship , but even more abusive, yes it is a circle.)then I found a very nice place to live and my girls did not want to live there, nor did they live my "BOYFRIEND"...They left me ( my ex NEVER looked after ANYTHING including our kids for 12 years) as they thought DADDY would be the better parent ... Of course I went into a MAJOR depression, along with my ex speading rumours about me (small town here)... BLAH BLAH BLAH...I am still hurt as he is only using the kids to get back at me...HE knows and always has known , that they are the MOST important thing in my LIFE... I am trying to stay strong, but I CERTAINLY can empathise...Hope things get better for you and you only live once , IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY, your kids wont be and they will not be functional adults...Take care

Comment

Originally posted by gooddadgoingmad
        "I did this for about a month. It took me two years to defend why I abondoned our child. Now, it didn't succeed, but it costs me huge - both in money and effort to fight against the allegations. Unreal."
        I'm just wondering what you were defending yourself against? You mention having to defend yourself for " abandoning" your child. How did this happen. I mean, when a couple separates, one person obviously has to leave...right? How could that be construed as abandonment?
        Sounds like you've had a terrible battle on your hands. It's shameful that a father who WANTS to be in his children's life is not being allowed that basic human right. Even more shameful is that the courts DO NOT look out for the best interests of children. ALL fathers/ mothers ( except for abuse cases) should have completely unquestioned 50% access to their children. My hard lesson with the canadian family law system is probably the biggest eye opener as to the incompetance of the people who govern us. I can hardly believe that this is 2006 and this kind of thing is still happening.
        GDGM
        Family Law is all about "smoke and mirrors". You build your case on a dog and pny show, not fact. Unlike criminal law, these facts are circumstantial, unsubstantiated, with varying levels of mudslinging, lies, allegations. I have always said, Family Law is the only court in the world where the defendent must prove their innocence, not the plaintiff proving guilt.

My ex had basically nothing to use against me. So she and her lawyer took anything, even as small as a diaper change, and turned it into a huge issue. So that one issue came up over and over again; in several affidavits, each case conference, motion, settlement conference. Each time you have to respond to this horrible allegation that you abondoned your child. Sure, it eventually played itself out, but it still took time, money and years to fight. And it draws everyone's attention away from other issues, um, like Father's Day! So once that allegation is finished, they just moved onto a new one.

That is why some sort of reform must take place: default custody and access. And three strikes your out with false allegations including, but not limited to false allegations of: abuse, abondenment, criminal activity, kidnappings, etc. I have been accused of all of this - but nothing every happened to my ex - not even a scolding by the judge. The system only empowered her more.

Comment

Why can't he leave and take the children

with him? It sounds like he is in the same situation I am in. I want to take my son and run. Staying in an environment like that is so hard, physically, emotionally and professionally. It's amazing you get anything done. I feel so much for you. It is so hard. I feel helpless too. I hope the lawyer will help you, if that is what you need.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X