12 yr old choosing residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cranberry View Post
    How much weight is given to a 12 yr old wanting to live with the other parent?

We had a private parenting assessment a few years ago, 2028-ish. Would another one be ordered? My ex requested and paid for it. We were both found equally wanting.

Thanks!

In my case, we had a VOC report done and final report last March (right before Covid). My kids are young teenagers. At TMC in January, we asked for an updated report based on the fact that a ton has transpired over the past year. The other side was vehemently opposed, but the judge agreed with me and endorsed it because, in his mind, a year makes a big difference, especially with teenagers. So the updated VOC is going ahead. Whether the trial judge puts weight on what they’ve said remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, Ange. This information will help me prepare for what might happen. Do you know if VOC report is different from a private parenting assessment?

Comment

A VOC is a Voice of the Child report. Mine was done through a private assessor (social worker). They interview the kids several times to try to ascertain their wishes as to the time sharing and schedule. The report will note other items too, like parental conflict, kids’ exposure to that conflict, and whether there is parental influence or pressure tactics being used. Costs quite a bit - $2000 at least. There is a disclosure meeting at the end and a written report. They assessor will usually testify for whichever parent requires it, but most of the time the matter will settle because the kids have made their wishes known. At least I am hoping that’s what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X