Trial tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial tomorrow

The day is finally here...got the call that I am going into trial tomorrow morning. After spending SO much money on legal fees...I am self-representing. Not sure what to expect....hoping that I have prepared adequately. Crazy that less than 4% of the cases go to trial...and here I am. Will update with any helpful information for others once it is over. Will be glad for end of the day tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Good luck tomorrow. I self rep'd for a contempt trial that was 3 days, hardest thing I have done to date but it was so worth it. Hope it all goes well for you!

Comment

We just finished a 7 day custody/access trial last Thurs after filing a Motion to Change in Oct 2013 based on mom's criminal activity. We did a TON of research, OCL and CAS had damning reports on mom's behaviour, but she refused to settle and of course, gets Legal Aid, so we were self represented. The judge helps guide a fair bit. Just keep your cool, no matter how ridiculous the questions are. You will make a statement, essentially kind of interviewing yourself, as examination in Chief as you are your own first witness. Then the other party's lawyer will cross examine. Good luck!!!! We had spent $27 K over last 5 yrs on legal fees and just couldn't do it anymore.

Comment

Laurie_rn you received your judgement that quickly? When we did our trial we didn't receive anything for over 2 months.

Comment

Yes on the day after closing statements

So day 7 we went back, she went through all the testimony to explain her decisions. Maybe because ours was backed by OCL, CAS, and police reports it wasn't too hard to rule against other party. Not sure.

Comment

My trial was scheduled for tomorrow too ! But it's not on the online list and I'm worried sick as I just realized I forgot to file my 14c I'm a SRL also.I called the co ordinatior Tuesday and she said we were still on for Fri .Good luck to you

Comment

Good luck to you! This posting is a bit old...have finished my trial. Won on all accounts...asked for costs and was granted 2800 (to be paid by my ex who was also SRL and started the ridiculous court case in the first place). Justice did prevail in my case...although I am not naive enough to say that it always does. Keep your cool, present the facts, stay organized and say a small prayer before you enter the court room. Worked for me.

Comment

Ah just noted the date now lol ,I was busy tending to matters at home .Thanks for the reply thought I really hope it's a go tomorrow and my forgetting the 14c hasn't messed things up its been an all round horrible experience .I posted about the 14c but didn't get a reply I was at the court house on Monday and talked to duty council about the trial on Friday and she didn't mention the 14c but she wasn't a very pleasant young woman in general nor helpful like they usually are . I also spoke to the co ordinatior on Monday as we were on the list and she confirmed it was still ago for Friday ! I also told her I was seeking a sealing order but I doubt that has anything to do with it ! I defiantly will pray

Comment

Fax the 14c in today. They honestly just want to know that you are going to show up. Whole thing is not fun...you will be glad when it is over. My ex still threatens to go back to court on a monthly basis but me winning has helped to make him think twice. Good luck. Don't sweat the small stuff would be my piece of advice. It's amazing what judges let slide. With SRL's (many who don't have a clue what they are doing) the judges give some leeway or they would never get cases off their docket. Good luck!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X