question about filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about filing

okay my ex contacted me about the filing for divorce. Separation agreement done 4 years ago for a simple separation, each had lawyers.

His email said he had the papers, he would pay for it all and I wouldn't have to do a thing unless I wanted to contest it (LOL ya right I really want him back). Anyways I didn't want this friend of his on my property due to threats he (friend) made to me. No I didn't contact police but I wasn't feeling threated really, but now I really do not want this person near my home. I told ex to mail the papers or something else.

He emailed me back and said who did I think was acceptable. He said that if he mails them then I would have to fill out a form to mail to the court. I emailed him back and said just like his choice not to reveal where he is living (I have never asked him, he just cuts out the return address on forms that come with benefit payments) it's my choice who is allowed on my property, that I respected his decision so he should respect mine. Remember this man hasn't had an issue coming here before to drop off benefit checks etc so why he has an issue now, I do not know. I found it strange he never said he would drop them off

If he mails them do I have to send something in to the court?? Not that I have an issue with that. I don't need his friends on my property as a few of those friends were gambling buddies who encouraged his gambling ( not that he needed much encouragement) who were pretty vocal about me trying to get him to curtail his gambling.

Well if it's been 4 years then you're not in a hurry - I'd opt for receiving via mail and avoid any potential drama. For all you know the paperwork is incorrect anyway LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
      Well if it's been 4 years then you're not in a hurry - I'd opt for receiving via mail and avoid any potential drama. For all you know the paperwork is incorrect anyway LOL.
      that's the thing I am not in a hurry at all. There is no rush for me at all. In fact I want time to read the papers and if needed, pay a visit to the lawyer I used for the initial separation.

What is so funny is he procrastinates so much. It was last year at this time that he said that he was filing and I would get the papers in a couple of weeks. A year later and now he finally has done it and now expects me to jump to get it done on his timeline. He has always been that way, when its for him, it has to be done right away no matter what, when its for someone else, it always has to be when he wants to do it.

Comment

My dick-head ex's g/f emailed me the other day to ask where to send the tax returns. She's been emailing everything to me, as well as my lawyer, for the past 6 years. Duh. Tax returns are useless with out the NOA and I reminded (by cut-and-past of divorce order) they have till mid-June to comply with providing them.

I can relate to your situation with your ex. I think they just want to "reach out and touch someone" sometimes. Makes me want to puke.

Comment

Agreed, have him mail the forms.

Comment

thanks blink and Arabian.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
              okay my ex contacted me about the filing for divorce. Separation agreement done 4 years ago for a simple separation, each had lawyers.

His email said he had the papers, he would pay for it all and I wouldn't have to do a thing unless I wanted to contest it (LOL ya right I really want him back). Anyways I didn't want this friend of his on my property due to threats he (friend) made to me. No I didn't contact police but I wasn't feeling threated really, but now I really do not want this person near my home. I told ex to mail the papers or something else.

He emailed me back and said who did I think was acceptable. He said that if he mails them then I would have to fill out a form to mail to the court. I emailed him back and said just like his choice not to reveal where he is living (I have never asked him, he just cuts out the return address on forms that come with benefit payments) it's my choice who is allowed on my property, that I respected his decision so he should respect mine. Remember this man hasn't had an issue coming here before to drop off benefit checks etc so why he has an issue now, I do not know. I found it strange he never said he would drop them off

If he mails them do I have to send something in to the court?? Not that I have an issue with that. I don't need his friends on my property as a few of those friends were gambling buddies who encouraged his gambling ( not that he needed much encouragement) who were pretty vocal about me trying to get him to curtail his gambling.
              Go to his house and pick the documents up. That way you won't need to send anything to the Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledgeable-Wizard View Post
                Go to his house and pick the documents up. That way you won't need to send anything to the Court.
                did you miss the part where he cuts out his address on the paper attached to the checks he drops off for benefit claims??

Comment

Two words - Tim Hortons. Arrange to meet him there, he gives you the papers, nobody has to go onto anyone else's property or give out their address.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                    Two words - Tim Hortons. Arrange to meet him there, he gives you the papers, nobody has to go onto anyone else's property or give out their address.
                    see that's the thing, he never had an issue dropping checks off here from his benefit company for my dental etc. For some reason now he wants someone else to give me the papers to get the divorce going. We have always been civil since we separated and in fact he wanted a picture of the cat so I took one and emailed him. We have been on good terms so it strikes me as odd that he wouldn't just drop the papers off himself.

He can mail them as far as I am concerned.

Comment

okay an update. I got a letter from the court stating if nothing was done in 60 days that it would be dismissed. It was stamped oct 1. I received a registered letter from the ex that I had to sign for. In it was the court papers form 8a, answer form 10 and an acknowledgement of service. Every thing looks okay except for some minor things like he didn't fill out my age, the names of the lawyers and the date we started to live together was about two weeks off. I am thinking no biggies with that.

My question..considering I am not contesting anything (separation done through lawyers 4 years ago and all issues settled, no kids) do I have to file the answer and acknowledgement of service? I had to sign for the registered letter so isn't that an acknowledgement that I received the documents?

Comment

When you first started the separation your Rules of Court stated that you had personally serve him even if he was represented by counsel right? This is the same thing. (I recall questioning my lawyer about having a process server serve papers on my husband even though he was represented by counsel - I though it was redundant.) I think it just closes any cracks for anyone to try to object to the process at a later date. Orrrrrrrrr it's just another make-money process instituted by legal profession? Or both? Sheet why don't you enclose a copy of your birth certificate, DL, Passport and photo of you signing the documents and get a photograph of a witness attesting to your signing everything? LOL

Hey you're all done officially - congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          When you first started the separation your Rules of Court stated that you had personally serve him even if he was represented by counsel right? This is the same thing. (I recall questioning my lawyer about having a process server serve papers on my husband even though he was represented by counsel - I though it was redundant.) I think it just closes any cracks for anyone to try to object to the process at a later date. Orrrrrrrrr it's just another make-money process instituted by legal profession? Or both? Sheet why don't you enclose a copy of your birth certificate, DL, Passport and photo of you signing the documents and get a photograph of a witness attesting to your signing everything? LOL

Hey you're all done officially - congratulations!
                          lol I cant remember that far back. My lawyer handled it all. The funny part is he didn't want me to know his address and know I know that plus his cell phone number...not that I would stalk him. Maybe I should enclose some DNA so they know its me?? LOL.

seriously though do I have to fill out the answer and acknowledgement of service? He sent me a self addressed stamped envelope I guess to send stuff to him??? Shouldn't stuff be sent to the court if I need to send anything?

Comment

I should learn to read.....google is my friend, just to damn tired lol. It looks like if I don't answer that means I don't contest it and the divorce is granted. LOL as if I would contest it..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X