small claims court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small claims court

this is for a friend of mine. He lent someone some money (has an IOU) but now the person wont pay him, wont answer their phone, deleted him off their facebook so he cannot get in contact with them.

Needless to say he is pissed so he wants to take it to small claims court.

I have a couple of questions from him.

1. is there a time limit to file

2. if there is a time limit does it start from the date the money was lent or from the date the money was suppose to be paid back by?

2 years (probably, but not 100% sure, from date you were supposed to be repaid)
    You can get an order but how do you enforce it?
    You have to prove you have done due diligence to collect but thats kind of hard if you don't have an address.

Check out info on web on small claims statute of limitations for your province. There are usually forms you can fill out.

Comment

he is going to check with the courthouse. He figures he can get the address as the person has pissed more then him off.

He asked a few times for the money and that's when the person blocked him on facebook and wont answer their phone.

When I went to small claims court all I had to do was fill out the forms, attach 2 copies of the evidence and serve the other party. I never had to prove that I tried to collect it. Maybe things have changed since I had to do it?

Comment

Not everyone uses facebook (me included) and some people move and change phone numbers. Perhaps try mailing to a relative?

believe you can attach it to credit bureau but I don't know how you go about doing that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X