This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post secondary and special expenses

I wonder if anyone has dealt with this previously? We are in a dispute with my husband's ex-wife regarding special expenses relating to his daughter's post-secondary education. My husband does not dispute his having to pay proportionate to his income his share of her expenses - tuition, books, lodging expempt of food, and travel to and from ottawa to vancouver twice a year, but his ex also wants him to pay for things like sheets, towels, shampoo, etc. School supplies which he's never paid extra before. And the topper is he's been asked to pay for 59 per cent of HER travel to ottawa - HER beinghis exwife - to pay for things like her airfare, hotel and rental car - to settle his daughter in university, which he was not asked about and could have done himself on points, etc. And which clearly was a vacation for his exwife. Does anyone think this is reasonable? It amounts to 59% of 1600 or so - that's a lot of money for people who are't rich! My husband has already agreed to pay for fullchild support despite the fact his daughter will be living out of town eight months of the years, plus 59 per cent of tuition, books, lodging, and travel. Thoughts? Case law?

WHAT?? she should pay her own travel costs, he is not responsible for the costs of a grown woman! CS should cover regular costs ike towels, bedding and shampoo, those are NOT extraordinary expenses, they are everyday.

Tell her you refuse to pay for her costs, and will pay for what you have already agreed to. It is up to her to take this to court, and until that happens, it is only a threat.

Comment

yeah, That's what we think. But - here we go - judicial case conference Jan. 18th. We can only hope the judge will be sensible and agree that he is offering a VERY fair deal.

Comment

Keep us posted, but as far as I know, what you've already offered is pretty typical. What's being asked for is excessive.

Comment

You got nothing to worry about west.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X