This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay-cation ideas

Every year we hear from more and more posters, frustrated that their ex's are off on fancy schmancy vacations while they can't afford the same luxuries for themselves, much less travel with kids.

It seems to be a common theme amongst the divorced/divorcing. So...I thought I would start a thread for people to post staycation ideas, things they do to enjoy the time they do have with (or without!) the kids on a limited budget.

Please post your ideas here, include:

* links to local places you've been and recommend
    * the age range suitable if it includes kids
    * average cost per person or family
    * ideas for fun things to do at home that cost little to no money!

OK....go!

Last edited by blinkandimgone; 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM.

1) pitch a tent in the backyard, grab your flashlights, blankets, make
    smores in the oven

2) cooking classes (all ages) at your local Loblaws Superstore.
    We pay $9 per class for D6 and she absolutely loves it!

3) Movie marathon at home, or Saturday morning kids movies at AMC
    theatres for only $2.50 inc. tax

4) Grab your water inflatables and head down to the beach

5) Keep an eye out for your local festivals, ex rib fests, art exhibits,
    carnivals, fairs, etc

6) Family fun centres include, mini putt, batting cages, etc.
    We took D6 to the driving range last weekend and she had a blast.
    6 years old and she loved it! lol

7) I remember as a child spending hours running back an forth through our
    sprinkler

8) Lemonade stand

9) D6 loves to picnic. She helps prepare the food and drinks, we pack the
    cooler and spend the day on the beach

10) Visit the conservation park - D6 loves to feed the birds and
    chipmunks, we've packed a picnic before and made a day out of it

11) Have a yard sale, let the little ones make posters, tag items, etc

12) 'Pick your own' - take the little ones to pick their own berries at your
    local farm

13) You can purchase DIY kits at places like Michaels and I believe they
    host free 'family time' at their stores. See their online calendar.
    Also, places such as Home Depot host kids workshops all the time

14) Free splash pads all across Ontario. Pack a picnic, the sunblock and
    laze the day away

15) Of course, there's places such as Wild Water Kingdom and
    Wonderland, etc

Comment

16) horseback riding. Beginners and kids accommodated (check with riding stable for minimum ages first) And the drive can be a fun afternoon.

17) IMAX show - not a movie - a non-fiction. The space ones are the best.

18) Provincial Park. They often have swimming areas, free tennis courts, bike trails, in-line skate paths....

19) Two of my favourite places as a kid - African Lion Safari and St. Jacobs (near Waterloo). Good memories. Farmers Market nearby.

Comment

7.a) Plastic sheet or tarp, hose & soap bubbles = giant slip'n'slide!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
          7.a) Plastic sheet or tarp, hose & soap bubbles = giant slip'n'slide!
          That's a good one!

Comment

As kids, the sibling who was in charge of setup got bonus points if they found a rock-free spot....

If not, they were on band-aid duty!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
              As kids, the sibling who was in charge of setup got bonus points if they found a rock-free spot....

If not, they were on band-aid duty!
              Love it!

Dad booked a cottage up North for a few nights. Peddle boat and canoe are included which is lovely! We've had to rent before at $15/hour.
              We've also decided to spend one day at one of the bigger spots, either Wild Water Kingdom or Wonderland, we'll let her choose. After that, we'll occupy our time with a number of the activities I've posted above.

I just don't believe that you need to bring your children to Disney Land in order to create awesome, lasting memories with them. Of course it would be nice to be able to do that for the little ones, but not everyone can afford to and there's no reason to feel down about it. I think we're capable and creative enough as parents/step-parents to give them a wonderful summer vacation here at home.

Comment

Splash pads are fantastic.

The local public library in Toronto/GTA runs a program, whereby if kids read a couple of books every week, they receive prizes including free tickets to Marine Land, Wonderland etc. We managed to get tickets to Marine Land last year and saved about $130 in the entrance fee.

Comment

While my kids were growing up I shared my love of hiking, and that has served me well. There are many places to hike within a short drive that are cheap or free, and we often picnic as well. I like to photograph, as do my kids, so that becomes part of our hikes.

We also have a favorite beach destination - Port Dover, which is somewhere I went to as a kid, and love to return to.

Comment

I was thinking of doing my stay-cation at a sidewalk cafĂŠ in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                      I was thinking of doing my stay-cation at a sidewalk café in Paris.
                      I've spent time in Paris.....
                      The coffee is generally cheaper in Paris Ontario, than Paris France. Both are nice places to visit, I have a feeling that I will be able to spend more time in Paris, Ontario than France for a while, and thats ok. If you haven't been, its a pretty little town, and there is a cafe with a deck overlooking the river...very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                        I've spent time in Paris.....
                        The coffee is generally cheaper in Paris Ontario, than Paris France. Both are nice places to visit, I have a feeling that I will be able to spend more time in Paris, Ontario than France for a while, and thats ok. If you haven't been, its a pretty little town, and there is a cafe with a deck overlooking the river...very nice.
                        I love that cafe! Also there is a company that does rafting trips down the Grand River from Paris, ON - the kids would love that.

Comment

And if you get bored in Paris, it's a very short drive to Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
                            I love that cafe! Also there is a company that does rafting trips down the Grand River from Paris, ON - the kids would love that.
                            I'e canoed the Grand from Paris to Brantford many times as a kid, and I've also taken my son on the same trip. It is a great trip. South of the city, which is where I grew up, you can see eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                              And if you get bored in Paris, it's a very short drive to Scotland.
                              Sadly Scotland Ontario is not very exciting.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X