This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rights of the new spouse and child

Just asking everyone how they feel about the above topic. If I divorce my new wife I am legally obligated to support her and my new child and the courts take this into account when say my previous ex wife takes me to court for Child support. Under obligation to support another child in another case. The question is why is it that if I'm happily married as I am right now they don't even consider my new spouse and child and actually say. You knew what you were getting into when you got remarried and had a child. There is no adjustment to allow for you to contribute equally to your new child.
    My ex is remarried and has a new child with the new husband she cheated on me with is he not taking on the responsibility of these children. So the support recipient has 3 incomes her own that of her new husband and the support I pay her. Is that not funny to you? It seems to me unjust enrichment. She caused the divorce because she cheated and her and the new husband benefit from it. In the support payors case you have half your income because half goes to the ex wife and your new spouses income. So the payor only has 1 1/2 incomes. Seems a little lop sided. Its almost like they want you to get divorced and reward those who cheat on their spouses. They make the system so frustrating and the poor new spouse of the payor has to put up with all the headaches and constant harrassment from the ex. The new spouse of the recipient is laughing even though they assisted in causing the break up.

Has anyone heard off a current spouse taking their current husband to court for childsupport when he is paying childsupport to an ex wife? Just something on my mind.

Just a few things on my mind. Like all of you the mind never shuts off.

do not forget that she may have extra income from a new husband but you also have extra income from a new wife.

Keep in mind that she cheated on you and she may also cheat on him. I am a firm believer that if a marriage was happy, there would be no cheating. Marriages break up every day for so many different reasons. Laying blame is never a good idea because it will just eat you up inside.

If you were to divorce your current wife you would have to pay child support for the children of the first marriage and the second marriage.

Comment

Divorce the second wife. Pay her child support. Pay less CS to the first wife. Live common law with the 2nd ex and have more money.

FN

Comment

Originally posted by FreeNow View Post
        Divorce the second wife. Pay her child support. Pay less CS to the first wife. Live common law with the 2nd ex and have more money.

FN
        How is that going to work?

The CS for the 1st child did not even factor into the computation of CS for the 2nd child in my case. I actually received more than the 1st CS order because income had increased somewhat since the previous order.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixRising View Post
          How is that going to work?

The CS for the 1st child did not even factor into the computation of CS for the 2nd child in my case. I actually received more than the 1st CS order because income had increased somewhat since the previous order.
          And you think that is fair?

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
            And you think that is fair?
            I did not decide on the amount the court did. So the answer would be yes, it is fair.

Or would you rather have us combine our incomes for the last taxation year and divide by 2. He can live off of 20 grand year and so can I. I'll give him 1/2 my pay cheque and he can give me 1/2 his pay cheque. Then we can both be in the same boat. Since we did after all plan on having our child together.

How is that for fair? I do hope it suits your expectations of fair.

Comment

Hey, I'm just throwing out ideas here.
              If a man had a 1st wife and 1 child and a 2nd wife and 1 child, Would he be paying out split support (based on his income) for 2 children, or would he be paying full support to each ex for 1 child? Tell me this would be done fairly
              What happens if there are more children and spouses?

Please tell me this would be done fairly.

FN

Comment

I would say you would be paying each ex full support for 1 child. No matter the additional spouses or the additional children.

Comment

Well PR,
                  I hope to see more opinions on this, including a little research. By the way this has no relation to my situation.

FN

Comment

I would say you would be paying each ex full support for 1 child. No matter the additional spouses or the additional children.
                    I don't agree and here is why:

Table amounts in Ontario for a person making $60K
                    1 child - $557
                    2 children - $902 ($451/child)
                    3 children - $1177 ($392/child)

Why does the amount per child go down when you have more children?
                    a) Ecnonomy of scale (it costs less per child the more children you have to achieve the same standard of living)
                    b) People provide less for each child the more children they have (there is only so much of their income they can afford to spend on their children).

Probably a combination of both a) and b) is what is reality.

So paying full table amounts (according to the number of children in a house) when there are children in another home is not fair. What is fair is a total payout somewhere between the table amount for the number of children you have up to the table amounts for each house, ignoring there are other households.

In the case of 60k income, and 2 children, each in a different home, fair would be between $451 and $557. $451 is not fair, and neither is $557 as neither number recongizes the reality of the situation - the more kids you have the less you spend on each one and also that it costs more to have the kids in separate homes.

Comment

I did not decide on the amount the court did. So the answer would be yes, it is fair.
                      Something is not fair simply because a court, or any entity declared it to be. Something is fair if it fair on its own merits.

Or would you rather have us combine our incomes for the last taxation year and divide by 2. He can live off of 20 grand year and so can I. I'll give him 1/2 my pay cheque and he can give me 1/2 his pay cheque. Then we can both be in the same boat. Since we did after all plan on having our child together.
                      That would be marriage, not child rearing, and you are no longer married.

How is that for fair? I do hope it suits your expectations of fair.
                      Nope

Comment

Originally posted by FreeNow View Post

FN
                        If he did this and it was found out would it not be considered fraud?

Comment

Just to point out I am in no way bitter about the situation and am actually relieved we are no longer married. The statement you said in regards to if the marriage was happy there wouldn't be cheating. I just think those who cheat use this as an excuse I wasnt' happy so I cheated come on. I wasn't happy and I didn't cheat. This woman cheated on me a few times so are you saying its my fault. I totally disagree with your comment and it comes down to a lack of morals on her part. I'm just stupid for not leaving sooner and taking the boys with me. Did you read my comments about the different incomes does the differences not seem odd to you. I'm also not laying blame I was just commenting on my specifics so all can understand my situation. We need a system like the Americans how those who cheat are treated worse by the courts. In Canada you can cheat all you want and the courts don't care. I wonder why the Divorce rate is so high when people can cheat and then get a paycheck for it.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                            If he did this and it was found out would it not be considered fraud?
                            No,
                            It would not be fraud. It would be above board. It would however, take advantage of the laws that are slanted.

FN

Sorry enoughalready, your post has nothing to do with this thread. If I read your post correctly, I am in agreement with you. Infidelity is horror. Those who commit it should not be rewarded
                            Last edited by FreeNow; 07-07-2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I still say full CS for both children to both EX's based on the table. I tried telling my attorney that he paid support for another child and he said it didn't matter. And based upon some of the other responses I read in regards to CS. One person in this forum posted that the judge told them they knew what they were getting into when they married someone with children. So additional spouses and children did not factor into the calculation of CS in the case.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X