No announcement yet.

Paying monthly support when adult child is not attending school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The judge stated that based on the evidence, that he didn't find it unreasonable that she take the second program to enhance the education she has already obtained. That was basically the whole paragraph on that. What evidence? All she provided was a statement that in her opinion she thinks it enhance her knowledge. There is no evidence showing that the two programs were connected in any way. They are 2 totally separate programs. Even if she thought it would broaden her knowledge, that doesn't mean I should be paying for the second one. In reality, I would have no issue helping my daughter directly for any reason at all, not just school, but it's ridiculous that I should have to pay her mother when I know it will not benefit my daughter. She is paying rent to her mother too. Her mother is such a selfish twit. To me, it just seems like a way to keep making me pay her mother.

Comment

For what it's worth, I sympathize with your situation. It's totally not fair and even common sense doesn't justify it. Welcome to Family Law in Canada.

This is a long shot but might work....

Why don't you offer your daughter a deal whereby she can live with you rent free AND you'll also give her a portion of what you're paying the greedy mother who is effectively stealing from her own daughter. Keep in mind that if the daughter is agreeable (and after age 16 the "child" can do whatever the hell they want with respect to which parent they live with) the ex-wife will have to pay YOU child support plus you'll not have to pay the ex anything (assuming you have 61% or more of custody)

Assuming it works, want to bet that the mother "suddenly" doesn't think its such a fair arrangement when she's getting screwed over lol ?

This way, both you and the daughter save potentially big money AND as a bonus the greedy mother gets a taste of her own medicine.

Good luck !
      Last edited by shellshocked22; 06-26-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I did offer this to my daughter, but we are in different cities and the program she wanted to take is in the city her mother lives in. Not only that, her mother has been putting in her head that I don't care about her education, only my son's, which is not true.

I'm not willing to move since I am married and have 2 other children that live with me as well. My son will be going to college/university in a couple of years too but the court system doesn't care about the second children at all. My daughter and son get along well, but my son even at 16 is much more independent and mature than my daughter is at 21. He refuses to force any type of payment on me that I can't afford and he talks to me about that all the time. I love them both the same and I support both of their educations, but I can't even begin to set money aside for his education with the money I have to give my daughter through court, which sucks.

Comment

I would lose my sh!t if this happened to me.

LOL...Knowing me, I would end up moving in the middle of the night under the cover of darkness to a new and exciting foreign land!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
            Seems like you've received a fair decision.

If the child of the marriage has a legitimate career plan, seems reasonable she should have the support of both parents.

That's what you get, out of the original poster's info? Why not make it 3 degrees then, if that turns out to be the career plan?

Comment

Isn't CS only until the child finishes their 1st post secondary degree?

Comment

Originally posted by dadonown View Post
                Isn't CS only until the child finishes their 1st post secondary degree?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

It should be but it isn’t. Judges are too afraid to hurt the children. So kids go and take basket weaving and then need another degree to get an actual job.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X