X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of Consent to Travel & Handing over kids' Passport

Hello fellow members,
    I haven't posted in a while...I'm wondering 2 questions.

(1)
    My kids are travelling in 37 days to be exact - with the other parent.
    Last week I sent out the Letter of Consent by Reg. mail to ex. Lawyer writes back saying School principal is not enough, I should get lawyer to Notarize as they would "be travelling through the U.S" and customs there may give them a hard time. Is this so? I though the kids' school principal (his signature & stamp) was more than adequate! Besides, he knows the kids. Lawyer says ex is willing to cover the cost for it to be Notarized. I am interested in knowing the FACTS pertaining to this issue.

(2) I am holding the kids' passports as I am the CP. Must I give the passports TODAY (as the lawyer maintains)? Why not on the day I drop off the kids for Travel. I thought it was best to hand them over in person to ex instead of Registered mail. Am I mistaken?
    Is it by law that I must give the passports now with notarized letter?

Ex and I do not talk at all.Very high conflict. Ex has lawyer; I don't. Ex prefers all communication be thru ex's lawyer.

Please help.
    Thank you so much in advance.

Travel consent and passport issues have been very much in the news recently. Due to frequent cases of unauthorized travel turned into "child abduction" cases. it stands to reason that every effort should be made to simplify going through customs etc.
    If you approve of the travel, you should provide as much documentation, and more, to facilitate the process for your kids, and your ex.
    I don't know about the legalities of when you must surrender the passport(s), but you should check out the "travel consent forms" on the governement of Canada's website. These forms are very thorough.
    Someday, you may want the same things in return. I have found that no matter how hard it is, cooperation among sperate parents is usually in the best interest of the children, and therefore worth the effort.
    Good Luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X