Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She just responded to another email with more accusations of me harassing her.

"I am done with the email and texts since its border line harrassement."
    She responded to several things in my email. I replied back telling her that if she wants to spend $1000's on lawyer sending correspondence back and forth I can do that, but think free email is a much better way to communicate as we are both adults. I said if she wants it through her lawyer to let me know and I will do so.

One of the things I was addressing in my email was her signing school papers without even discussing them with me. I told her that she did not have my permission to sign anything without discussing it with me first. I also told her if she continues to sign them without my involvement I would notify the school that two signatures would be required. (Maybe I should not have said that and I'm not sure if I can even do that)

In the first email I asked her not to talk to me about my personal life regarding an incident that had happened. She of course denies it happening

Also I am no longer responding to your email when you make stuff up
    LOL

We also discussed me dropping the kids off to her parents on Thanksgiving.

Anyway I'm sticking to email.

Comment

• Spousal Support

Just trying to get a grasp on spousal support. I have done some reading and it seems that she must prove two things.

That she sacrificed
      That her income needs supplementation.

So in her case she is union employed. She is paid based on a table. She continued to advance on the table even though she was on Mat leave twice and is almost at the max table amount. There are no promotions available to her unless she changes careers. She has two college diplomas and I guess you could say she is employed in the lower diploma but having both helped her get the job. Could there be any other ways she sacrificed?

Needs supplementation.

Assuming Shared custody and offset child support. My NDI would be 53.9% and hers would be 46.1% - Min = $0 Mid = $154.00 Max = $517.00

Assuming I have custody with table child support in the amount of $732 / month Min = $228.00 Mid = $266.00 Max = $304.00. I'm not sure what NDI would be here.

Assuming she has custody with table child support in the amount of $1186 / month. Min = $0.00 Mid = $0.00 Max = $208.00. Again I'm not sure what NDI would be here.

I guess the scenario I am most interested in understanding is assuming I have custody of the children. So the range is $228 - $304. So I'm assuming she would not qualify based on sacrifice but might qualify based on need in this situation. Am I understanding this correct. Her lawyer stated that "she is also not in a position nor should she be required to release her spousal support entitlement." Just curious where they might be going with this?

Still no word about the service of court papers.

Thanks

Comment

• Update:

My claim has now been issued by the court. (Not really sure what this means)

A request was sent to opposing solicitor requesting she accept service.

If he does not hear back from her by Friday (tomorrow) she will be served directly.

Looks like Case Conferences are scheduling end of Dec early Jan right now.

Comment

• One of the things I was addressing in my email was her signing school papers without even discussing them with me. I told her that she did not have my permission to sign anything without discussing it with me first. I also told her if she continues to sign them without my involvement I would notify the school that two signatures would be required. (Maybe I should not have said that and I'm not sure if I can even do that)

In the first email I asked her not to talk to me about my personal life regarding an incident that had happened. She of course denies it happening
          FB:

I'm glad you got your paperwork in and things are moving along for you.

Just a note per the above comments in your post. You really need to consider the flaming emails you are sending. The way to handle any problem like this (and there will be many) is to think of a solution first rather than firing off threats and battling for control over the kids. And that's not just for your own sake...its more importantly for the kid's sake.

My suggestion on what you should have done is rather than berate her for signing school documents and threatening her...a more appropriate response would be to voice your concerns (ie, "I know there are school documents that need to be signed, however, I also need an opportunity to review them)...and then suggest a solution (ie. "I would like our kid's school bag placed on the kitchen counter so that I can review both homework and any documents being sent to the school). Then you give her an opportunity to make any other suggestion (ie. If you have another solution to this ongoing parenting issue, please advise by email). And then you try to implement the improvement. Print out the email...and if she doesn't comply...re-send the email a couple times and document it in your journal.

Kids need at least one rational, reasonable parent. And having custody of your children isn't just a game that you want to win....you should get sole/joint custody because you are a parent who is focused on the needs of your children and not focused on scoring a point on their mom. Your kids need solutions...not more arguing and problems. I think you're a good guy...I just think you have some changes to make in your mindset here.

I'm not saying you're not going to have problems...you will. But as the more reasonable person in this situation, it falls to you to change the tone of your relationship with your ex. You should be thinking about how an assessor or judge is going to interpret your emails (ie, controlling) and far more importantly, you should be thinking about your longterm parenting with your kid's mom. Remember, divorce is temporary....parenting never is.

And regarding the last comment...why on earth would you send someone a note not to discuss your personal life? She can talk about whatever she pleases...it falls to you to ignore the irrelevant. If she emails you about nonsense, ignore it...you're a grown man. Otherwise, you cannot and should not attempt to control what she does. The only exception to that rule is if she involves the children in inappropriate conversation. In that instance, you can send her a polite email to try to get her to cease and desist in the best interest of the kids...and document when she doesn't.

I said this to you before because I know you're a good dad...and I'm going to say it again. Control your behavior and work on changing your mindset. Divorce means detaching...and you should be working on doing that. Communication by email should be brief and ONLY about finances or childrearing issues or scheduling...nothing else.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Excellent advice from PH. You definitely need to step outside the box and try your best to be objective and 'end result' focussed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
              FB:

I'm glad you got your paperwork in and things are moving along for you.

Just a note per the above comments in your post. You really need to consider the flaming emails you are sending. The way to handle any problem like this (and there will be many) is to think of a solution first rather than firing off threats and battling for control over the kids. And that's not just for your own sake...its more importantly for the kid's sake.

My suggestion on what you should have done is rather than berate her for signing school documents and threatening her...a more appropriate response would be to voice your concerns (ie, "I know there are school documents that need to be signed, however, I also need an opportunity to review them)...and then suggest a solution (ie. "I would like our kid's school bag placed on the kitchen counter so that I can review both homework and any documents being sent to the school). Then you give her an opportunity to make any other suggestion (ie. If you have another solution to this ongoing parenting issue, please advise by email). And then you try to implement the improvement. Print out the email...and if she doesn't comply...re-send the email a couple times and document it in your journal.

Kids need at least one rational, reasonable parent. And having custody of your children isn't just a game that you want to win....you should get sole/joint custody because you are a parent who is focused on the needs of your children and not focused on scoring a point on their mom. Your kids need solutions...not more arguing and problems. I think you're a good guy...I just think you have some changes to make in your mindset here.

I'm not saying you're not going to have problems...you will. But as the more reasonable person in this situation, it falls to you to change the tone of your relationship with your ex. You should be thinking about how an assessor or judge is going to interpret your emails (ie, controlling) and far more importantly, you should be thinking about your longterm parenting with your kid's mom. Remember, divorce is temporary....parenting never is.

And regarding the last comment...why on earth would you send someone a note not to discuss your personal life? She can talk about whatever she pleases...it falls to you to ignore the irrelevant. If she emails you about nonsense, ignore it...you're a grown man. Otherwise, you cannot and should not attempt to control what she does. The only exception to that rule is if she involves the children in inappropriate conversation. In that instance, you can send her a polite email to try to get her to cease and desist in the best interest of the kids...and document when she doesn't.

I said this to you before because I know you're a good dad...and I'm going to say it again. Control your behavior and work on changing your mindset. Divorce means detaching...and you should be working on doing that. Communication by email should be brief and ONLY about finances or childrearing issues or scheduling...nothing else.

Best wishes.
              Thanks. This is what is great about this forum is a different perspective from people who are not involved. As we all know emotions can get the best of us. I can totally see what you are saying about it sounding controlling. You are correct I cannot control what she does nor do I want to, that was not my intent but I can now see how it would be viewed as such.

Thanks again

Comment

• Good points made, one of the biggest steps to take is becoming the bigger, rational person. The kids will be fine, and want both parents to be happy even though their apart. I know it gets you fumed when certain words, or jabs are taken at you but remember that life is short. Don't waste your time with these things... if not for your kids, for yourself.

Comment

• Her lawyer is accepting service on Monday.

I have been given an "Applicant's MIP Notice" and must attend a mandatory information session at the courthouse next week. Should be fun.

Respondents address was butchered on the form. Not sure if I should care. The first number was a "." instead of a number and the street is spelled completely wrong. I'm assuming the court filled out this paperwork as it has my Court File Number on it.

Comment

• Just need to vent.

STBX took our daughter out for dinner with her boyfriend on Friday night.

Then she took her to sleep at her other boyfriends on Sat night.

I can't see how this is in her best interest at all..

I get it I can't control what she does with the kids... just frustrated and want to protect my daughter. Who knows what she thinks as she's only 3.

Comment

• That is very high risk behaviour.Im sure many of the posters will say its none of your business but I disagree.How is your ex meeting these guys?Does she have family to babysit while she ummm ..."visits" her latest man friend?If your ex is not making prudent decisions that is her prerogative, but if she is involving your daughter while off on her sexcapade you have every right to worry.

Comment

• FB:

How do you know this?

Comment

• My daughter told me she was with "guy1" for dinner Friday night while I was asking her about her weekend. "guy1" was the one who officially broke up our marriage (so yes I'm a little sensitive to him). I know for a fact they were in a relationship. I do not know the current status and it's none of my business.

I got a text from my stbx Sat asking if I would be home to watch the dog on Sat night as she said her and my daughter were "sleeping out". I sent her an email stating that it was my opinion that her sleeping out with our daughter was not in our daughters best interest. I said she is entitled to her own opinions as well and I can't stop her from making decision about our daughter while she was in her care. I just wanted to make her aware I disagreed with it.

In regards to guy2 I have no idea what he is about. He has been to the matrimonial home on several occasions (outside). I do not know any history about their relationship (friends dating ...) All I know is that she has slept at his place before (her providing this information to me) and he calls my house often. I did not ask her where she was taking her and she didn't provide that information. My daughter was talking to my son this morning and said that she had slept at "guy2's" place on Sat (Son was with my mom) I did not ask any questions or say anything to my daughter about it nor my stbx.

The children frequently visit both guy1 and guy2 while they are in her care. The sleeping out thing bothered me as she (our daughter) has her own bed at her own house. We have an agreement that Guy1 is not permitted on our property as I had to call the police to have him removed from my house previously (kids were present). I had also expressed via a letter (last Oct) to her lawyer that I disagreed with the kids spending time with guy1 as it would not be in their best interest and might confuse them. Her lawyer told her as long as he was not at our house I couldn't stop her and she continued.

We had originally had an unwritten mutual agreement that neither of us would have a member of the opposite sex in the house. She broke that arrangement in June by having guy2 over on the basis that it was with other friends to play cards. I never made a big deal of it. He has not to my knowledge been in our house alone with her. I don't care what she does on her own time without the kids but this bothered me.

Others here have made it very clear to me that I should not care what she does with the kids on her time. While I understand their stance I disagree and needed to vent.

Comment

• My daughter told me she was with "guy1" for dinner Friday night while I was asking her about her weekend.
                            Exactly why I asked.

You are so not getting this process...and I'm starting to realize that there may be a lot more to this whole story than what's being let on here. IE...you have control issues and a lot of emotional baggage with your stbx.

Firstly: Stop interrogating your child. Children say all types of things...you have zero idea what type of relationship your ex has with this person. Your children are already going through a difficult time, stop involving them in this mess more than necessary.

She is their mother...period. And as their mother, she will determine what she feels is appropriate or not when the children are in her care.

If you do not like that and feel you have valid reasons...then prove your case by collecting RELEVANT evidence and going to court. Relevant evidence is not what you're collecting by spying on her and her dates...you are actually doing your case harm.

I sent her an email stating that it was my opinion that her sleeping out with our daughter was not in our daughters best interest.
                            You've been advised on a number of occasions on just this thread alone to stop this nonsense. .

Until you have a custody/access order, if your daughter is in your wife's care...she, as her mother, gets to decide what's in her best interest. If she believe that the child is in immediate danger, call CAS...otherwise, why do you continue to send these types of text msgs?

I can tell you that if I was her...I'd be having that transcribed to show in a future custody evaluation how controlling you are. Frankly that would be my whole strategy in a divorce/custody situation with you. You're giving her soooo much evidence to use.

In regards to guy2 I have no idea what he is about. He has been to the matrimonial home on several occasions (outside). I do not know any history about their relationship (friends dating ...) All I know is that she has slept at his place before (her providing this information to me) and he calls my house often. I did not ask her where she was taking her and she didn't provide that information. My daughter was talking to my son this morning and said that she had slept at "guy2's" place on Sat (Son was with my mom) I did not ask any questions or say anything to my daughter about it nor my stbx.

The children frequently visit both guy1 and guy2 while they are in her care. The sleeping out thing bothered me as she (our daughter) has her own bed at her own house. We have an agreement that Guy1 is not permitted on our property as I had to call the police to have him removed from my house previously (kids were present). I had also expressed via a letter (last Oct) to her lawyer that I disagreed with the kids spending time with guy1 as it would not be in their best interest and might confuse them. Her lawyer told her as long as he was not at our house I couldn't stop her and she continued.
                            Two words here....1) Intrusive (extremely)...2) Controlling

...calling the cops...sending useless letters between lawyers...giving her relationship advise on which guy to spend time with...interrogating and tracking her private life through the children....worrying about, tracking/stalking her private life...

A custody assessor would have a field day with both of you idiots.

We had originally had an unwritten mutual agreement that neither of us would have a member of the opposite sex in the house.
                            Meaningless. Stupid agreement...if you put this in an affidavit, its going to come off as completely controlling.

Others here have made it very clear to me that I should not care what she does with the kids on her time. While I understand their stance I disagree and needed to vent.
                            You can disagree with whatever you like..however, the people that are posting to you here have been through custody/access issues and often times through custody assessments.

You are getting good advice here that you continue to ignore at not only your own peril...but more importantly at the peril of your children.

You continue to waste your time and energy to engage your stbx spouse in silliness and continued drama and you're going to realize very soon that you're as guilty as your stbx spouse in not doing what you're supposed to be doing as a parent.

She sounds immature..and frankly, you're starting to sound just as bad. I'm starting to really feel sorry for these children because they don't seem to have anyone on their side.

And no, chasing your stbx wife around to all over the city, intruding into her personal life, and using your kids as spies...is NOT the same thing as you being concerned about your children.

I know you're going to think that this post is harsh. And frankly, I'm thinking its probably a waste of time to bother continuing to post to you at all. But if you have half a brain in your head...you're going to have a wake-up call and start concentrating on what you really need to do in order to help your case and stop hurting it. Sometimes posters need a reality check..and this is yours...do what you want with it.
                            Last edited by Pursuinghappiness; 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                              Exactly why I asked.

You are so not getting this process...and I'm starting to realize that there may be a lot more to this whole story than what's being let on here. IE...you have control issues and a lot of emotional baggage with your stbx.
                              The whole story is 2 1/2 years in. I'm sure I do have lots of emotional baggage.

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                              Firstly: Stop interrogating your child. Children say all types of things...you have zero idea what type of relationship your ex has with this person. Your children are already going through a difficult time, stop involving them in this mess more than necessary.
                              I was not interrogating my child. Having a conversation with my daughter about her weekend is not interrogating. She told me what she did. I didn't ask for any more details. She also did not mention to me about where she spent Sat night. She did that with my son while I was in the room this morning. I asked her about her weekend last night.

I asked her what she did this weekend. It was not like. "where did you go?" "who did you go with" "How long were you there" "what did your mother say" "why did you do that"

I asked her one question "what did you do this weekend". That was all. she felt like telling me she went to swiss chalet with "guy1". She also told me she got to play with her toys in the bath. Those were the two things she wanted to talk about. I let her and did not ask another question.

What else am I supposed to ask a 3 yo. When I get home today I'm going to ask her how school was. I don't see this as interrogating.

She is their mother...period. And as their mother, she will determine what she feels is appropriate or not when the children are in her care.
                              I get that but if she is doing something that I don't feel is right I believe I have a right to express my opinion.

So are you saying you see her behavior as being in the kids best interest? If it was you how would you have handled this different? Simply ignore it?

If you do not like that and feel you have valid reasons...then prove your case by collecting RELEVANT evidence and going to court. Relevant evidence is not what you're collecting by spying on her and her dates...you are actually doing your case harm.
                              I have not been spying on her or following her. She was the one who sent me the text saying she was sleeping out with our daughter.

Forgive my ignorance. But what would be "relevant" evidence?

You've been advised on a number of occasions on just this thread alone to stop this nonsense. .
                              I have taken and learned from many things on this thread and I thank those who posted this information for providing it.

Until you have a custody/access order, if your daughter is in your wife's care...she, as her mother, gets to decide what's in her best interest. If she believe that the child is in immediate danger, call CAS...otherwise, why do you continue to send these types of text msgs?
                              CAS is involved already.

I can tell you that if I was her...I'd be having that transcribed to show in a future custody evaluation how controlling you are. Frankly, if I was her...that would be my whole strategy in a divorce/custody situation with you. You're giving her soooo much evidence to use.
                              I don't see how anything I said can be viewed as controlling. All I stated was that I didn't understand how sleeping out at an unknown house was in her best interest. I stated that it was my opinion and she was free to her opinion as well.

Two words here....1) Intrusive (extremely)...2) Controlling
                              Again I'm not following her nor controlling HER... I am trying to maintain some normalcy for my kids.

...calling the cops...sending useless letters between lawyers...giving her relationship advise on which guy to spend time with...interrogating and tracking her private life through the children....worrying about her private relationships that are none of your business...tracking/stalking her ongoing private life...
                              Again I have not tracked or stalked her.

The police were called (over a year ago) because some guy was in my house when I got home and he "refused" to leave. Forgive me if I didn't want him there.

A custody assessor would have a field day with both of you idiots.
                              I'll take your word for it.

Meaningless. Stupid agreement...if you put this in an affidavit, its going to come off as completely contolling.
                              I don't think having an agreement that neither one of us have boyfriend/girlfriend in a home that we are both living in is stupid. I think it's in the best interest of the kids

You can disagree with whatever you like..however, the people that are posting to you here have been through custody/access issues and often times through custody assessments.
                              I appreciate that.

You are getting good advice here that you continue to ignore at not only your own peril...but more importantly at the peril of your children.
                              I appreciate the advice and I am trying to do my best for the kids.

You continue to waste your time and energy to engage your stbx spouse in silliness and continued drama and you're going to realize very soon that you're as guilty as your stbx spouse in not doing what you're supposed to be doing as a parent.

She sounds immature..and frankly, you're starting to sound just as bad. I'm starting to really feel sorry for these children because they don't seem to have anyone on their side.

And no, chasing your stbx wife around to all over the city, intruding into her personal life, and using your kids as spies...is NOT the same thing as you being concerned about your children.
                              I have NOT been chasing my stbx around all over town. I don't care what she does with HER personal life. I do care what she is exposing my children too. Many people have in separation agreements that its best not to introduce new partners into their lives for a certain amount of time. I don't get how what I am suggesting is any different.

I know you're going to think that this post is harsh. And frankly, I'm thinking its probably a waste of time to bother continuing to post to you at all. But if you have half a brain in your head...you're going to have a wake-up call and start concentrating on what you really need to do in order to help your case and stop hurting it. Sometimes posters need a reality check..and this is yours...do what you want with it.
                              I don't think it's harsh. Hopefully I will get what your saying before I do hurt my case. I am trying to take this very seriously. I hope you do continue to try and help me through this situation.

As I know you can appreciate it's not easy. I need your help or I would not be here.

Comment

• The whole story is 2 1/2 years in. I'm sure I do have lots of emotional baggage.
                                A lot of people here are married for long periods of time. You're getting divorced. Its not just a legal term defining marital status....it also means you need to "divorce" yourself from the relationship you had with your ex.

I get that but if she is doing something that I don't feel is right I believe I have a right to express my opinion.
                                You are getting divorced. Obviously you felt that a lot of things she was/is doing are not 'right.' Expressing your opinion is not only meaningless, it can sometimes be used against you...believe that. Instead, direct your energy into proving your case.

In this case, if she slept out with your daughter...I would have documented that. Keep doing it everytime. Let the assessor draw his own conclusion about her behavior. What you did is give her evidence to say "I leave the house because he follows me around and tries to control everything I do"..which is what you're doing when you send her that type of email/legal letters. Do you see the difference?

So are you saying you see her behavior as being in the kids best interest? If it was you how would you have handled this different? Simply ignore it?
                                I laughed a bit when I read this...sorry but if you ask most of the parents, including myself...about how they like their ex's parenting style..you're going to get some pretty funny answers. Do I or a lot of posters think that their ex's engage in behavior that they believe is not in the best interest of their children?....ABSOFUCKINLOOTLY.

However, things change when you divorce. The things that you could nag about (usually pointlessly) when you were married, become things you tolerate in divorce. There are actionable things...neglect, abuse, etc. But barring those extremes, if you don't have a friendly relationship with your ex...you have to recognize that their parenting style is there business and yes, ignore it (if you can't find a way to work with your ex on it). Children are generally clever enough to figure out who they want to emulate anyway. Bad role models are often as useful as good ones. Be a good parent and let their mother worry about her actions.

Your sole concentration at this point should put custody/access...showing why you are the best parent for the kids.

I honestly know nothing about my ex's private life....absolutely nothing. He is my children's father and he can decide how to handle his own private life and how to handle that portion of his life around my children. My children understand that they can come to me with anything that they feel scared, apprehensive or frightened of..but my ex's private life is his own business. I was married for over 20 years and took the advice here very seriously because I love my kids and knew I was in for a custody battle...after I read a couple posts, I immediately stopped having verbal conversations with my ex and never spoke to him again except by email and I probably never will.

Again I'm not following her nor controlling HER... I am trying to maintain some normalcy for my kids.
                                Divorce is a time of change. The kids will be going through an adjustment...one that you do not solely control. What you CAN control is your own behavior. Your focus should be to start defining the new normal. How you will act inside of the new parenting relationship with your ex.

She will be dating..that much is clear. If she dates 10,000 different guys..one per day..its none of your damned business. You definitely objectively state your reservations about her lifestyle during a custody assessment and then hand over your daily calendar with the the evidence. But you do it in a "blame free" kind of way that leaves the assessor to draw his own conclusions.

You keep mentioning that you have a right to state your opinion. And obviously you have...verbally, by text, by sending letters from your lawyer....and she disagrees and has the right to do so...so move on!

I don't think having an agreement that neither one of us have boyfriend/girlfriend in a home that we are both living in is stupid. I think it's in the best interest of the kids
                                Its stupid because its not legally unenforceable. She can have whatever guests over the home she pleases (obviously while she's also in the home). My advice...spend your time working on actions to determine the value of the home and finding a realtor so that after the case conference you can file a motion to get the house sold.

I have NOT been chasing my stbx around all over town. I don't care what she does with HER personal life. I do care what she is exposing my children too. Many people have in separation agreements that its best not to introduce new partners into their lives for a certain amount of time. I don't get how what I am suggesting is any different.
                                Well you don't have a separation agreement...and more importantly, you have an ex that probably wouldn't agree with putting that in there anyway as evidenced by her actions. So while you may want this...if she doesn't agree to the clause (and I wouldn't) its immaterial.

Again I have not tracked or stalked her.
                                I'm reading your posts very objectively. I'm telling you that you show all the red flags of someone with control issues. You have posted paragraph after paragraph after paragraph of inane personal details about your ex. You posted 3 paragraphs on her dating life...even numbering which guy is which.

Maybe you're just very detailed...who knows....but I'm just explaining to you that from a disinterested 3rd party's observation, you strike me as way too over-involved in your ex's life.

You also tend to justify your repeated chastising of her by saying things like "i'm just giving her my opinion" ..or..."I'm entitled to my opinion." The issue is that your opinion is obviously meaningless to her. So your repeatedly sending correspondence about it comes off as futile. You should be documenting your concerns, stop bothering her with them...she obviously doesn't care what you think.

I don't think it's harsh. Hopefully I will get what your saying before I do hurt my case. I am trying to take this very seriously. I hope you do continue to try and help me through this situation.
                                My advice...you work on you.

Work on being a model parent....be involved in your kid's lives. Ignore your ex and her private life except when/if your kids express anything truly worrisome about your ex or her dating partners, you should be factually writing it down. When with your kids, you should be reassuring them and letting them know that they might have new people coming into their lives.

Your primary focus should be on showing the court why you are the best parent.
                                Last edited by Pursuinghappiness; 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X