Custodial parent and Section 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custodial parent and Section 7

Hi, does anyone know if the custodial parent pays the non-custodial parent section 7 expenses?
    In our agreement all that is mentioned is that the applicant (me - I'm also the custodial parent) shall show the respondent (him) any receipts for section 7 expenses and then the respondent has 30 days to pay.
    He is telling me I owe him money for things he randomly signed the kids up for.

Thank you

If you did not provide written permission for the expenses then no you are not obligated to pay. Your response is “in accordance with the federal child support guidelines and our agreement, written permission must be obtained from me prior to incurring the expense to have it considered a section 7 cost. I did not agree to this expense therefore it is your cost to bear.”

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      If you did not provide written permission for the expenses then no you are not obligated to pay. Your response is “in accordance with the federal child support guidelines and our agreement, written permission must be obtained from me prior to incurring the expense to have it considered a section 7 cost. I did not agree to this expense therefore it is your cost to bear.”
      Thank you for your help. I'm curious though, if my ex's expenses are a non-issue in the first place, given that our agreement only refers to the expenses being paid to me, not the other way around? Maybe the whole thing can be nipped in the bud.

Comment

Your ex seems to be doing whatever he likes and will probably misinterpret the agreement every which way to Sunday. Best to keep it simple—no permission no pay. For medical expenses, if they already saw a dentist and it was paid, he doesnt need to go again for a second look.

More than likely he will either start asking or stop sending them!

Comment

If either parent incurs a s7 expense that they both agree on, they share it proportional to income. It doesn't matter who has the most access to the children or who has sole custody.

A lot of agreements, particularly those prepared by old-fashioned lawyers, assume that the mom has all the most access and is the only one to sign children up for activities, and that dad is just the source of money.

If he's paying a share of equivalent activities you enrolled the kids in on your time, why would you not reciprocate and pay a share of the activities he enrolled the kids in on his time?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post

Same can be said for your ex if I am not mistaken. If he didn't agree to the S7 expenses in writing that you believe you are owed for he doesn't have to pay you either.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X