Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

New here and would like opinions

My ex and I have one daughter together, she's almost 14 (she will be 14 in a months time)

In 2012 I lost custody of my daughter in court, for a year prior to that I had a no access order.
    Now my access to my daughter as written in the final court order is "the respondent shall have access to XXXX as per her wishes"
    I haven't seen or spoke to my daughter in many years.

I've heard rumours that my ex and my daughter are moving out of province over the summer.
    We had lawyers draw up a separation agreement when we separated in 2008 it says "if myself or my ex propose to change his or her residence 50kms from address XX he or she will give his or her new address to the other"
    We currently live over 200kms apart since I moved in with my girlfriend.

What options do I have?

You could fight it but I'm not sure you'd have much of a chance considering you haven't seen your daughter in so long.

I would agree to the move and ask the CS be reduced by $xxx to cover the additional cost of seeing your child. Although again not sure how much that would work since you don't see her now.

Comment

Why would you want to prevent your daughter from moving? If you haven't seen her or even spoken to her in many years - what does it matter to you if she moves? I am not asking this to be hurtful, I am asking because it is relevant to the situation. Even moreso since you moved further away from your daughter.

I think we need more info to give you a better opinion. But with the little info above, I don't think there is much you can do. I can't see your child support being reduced either.

Comment

I don't think you have any options if the court order states that visitation is at the daughter's wishes.
        I do think you have the right to the new address and phone #.

Why did custody get taken away?
        Have you attempted to see/make contact with her over the years?

Comment

Thank you to all that have replied.
          FB_
          My ex wife hasn't mentioned the proposed move to me.
          I don't know if it's true or simply a rumour.

I don't pay child support, as I wasn't working at the time we were in court.

Serene
          Thank you for your opinions. However I'm not going into all the details on a public forum, I just wanted to know if I have options.

OntarioMomma
          I have continually tried to contact my daughter, she refuses contact.
          I as I said to Serene I will not go into detail as to what happened in regards to losing custody.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooddadbadbreak View Post
            Thank you to all that have replied.
            FB_
            My ex wife hasn't mentioned the proposed move to me.
            I don't know if it's true or simply a rumour.

I don't pay child support, as I wasn't working at the time we were in court.

Serene
            Thank you for your opinions. However I'm not going into all the details on a public forum, I just wanted to know if I have options.

OntarioMomma
            I have continually tried to contact my daughter, she refuses contact.
            I as I said to Serene I will not go into detail as to what happened in regards to losing custody.
            Are you working now?

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
              Are you working now?
              No I'm not

Comment

No I'm not
                Why not?

What are you living off.... Someone else is paying all your expenses?

EDIT: Not trying to be nosy here, but you want a 14 yo to spend time with you when you don't support her in any manner. If you think she is oblivious to that you are wrong and it's showing in her actions...She's old enough to walk the walk and she has.
                Last edited by FB_; 02-03-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The problem is, you have little to stand on. The daughter is basically old enough to decides to do what she wants. Mom can inform you all you want, but because you have no access, are not paying support and have not seen or talked to your child in years, what do you expect to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                    The problem is, you have little to stand on. The daughter is basically old enough to decides to do what she wants. Mom can inform you all you want, but because you have no access, are not paying support and have not seen or talked to your child in years, what do you expect to happen?
                    Isn't it a material change in circumstance if my ex leaves the province with my daughter without my permission?

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
                      Why not?

What are you living off.... Someone else is paying all your expenses?

EDIT: Not trying to be nosy here, but you want a 14 yo to spend time with you when you don't support her in any manner. If you think she is oblivious to that you are wrong and it's showing in her actions...She's old enough to walk the walk and she has.
                      My ex and her boyfriend make enough money to live comfortably.
                      I don't.
                      I'm looking for work, and right now my girlfriend is helping me out.

Comment

My ex and her boyfriend make enough money to live comfortably.
                        I don't.
                        I'm looking for work, and right now my girlfriend is helping me out.
                        If you owe child support, it doesn't matter what the income of her mother is, let alone the boyfriend. If you owe and don't pay, I can understand how she would resent that.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                          If you owe child support, it doesn't matter what the income of her mother is, let alone the boyfriend. If you owe and don't pay, I can understand how she would resent that.
                          I don't owe it!
                          The final order states I don't have to pay child support!

Comment

Isn't it a material change in circumstance if my ex leaves the province with my daughter without my permission?
                            I assume your ex has sole custody since yours got taken away?

If you had access, then yes, I believe this would be a material change in circumstance and you could file to stop the move.
                            But seeing as how access is at the daughter's discretion, no material change here.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioMomma View Post
                              I assume your ex has sole custody since yours got taken away?

If you had access, then yes, I believe this would be a material change in circumstance and you could file to stop the move.
                              But seeing as how access is at the daughter's discretion, no material change here.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
                              Yes my ex wife has sole custody of my daughter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X