This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octomom - excessive breeding etc.

I recently watched a show where Oprah interviewed Octomom. I don't know if it was an old show but it certainly got my attention.

Octomom has moved to a small town and is now raising her 14 children. She was criticized heavily in the past from Suzie Orman (financial whiz) and advised to get rid of all of her hired help as she simply couldn't afford it.

At the end of the interview there was a notation that the government was going to step in and, once again, give Octomom financial assistance.

I believe this is a pretty blatant case of someone having children without a clue as to how she can support them.

While we don't usually hear about this sort of thing, there are definitely some cases where it seems people simply have too many children that they can't afford to provide for. Poligamy is just one example. Plural wives file for assistance as 'single' mothers and so on.

Crazy or what?

Up north many women have kids with the express purpose of having them being provided for by the government. My daughter who is a social worker told me this. Even if the parents have to give their kids away to a foster home, they will start breeding again in order to have another kid as soon as possible . I know sounds unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
      Up north many women have kids with the express purpose of having them being provided for by the government. My daughter who is a social worker told me this. Even if the parents have to give their kids away to a foster home, they will start breeding again in order to have another kid as soon as possible . I know sounds unbelievable.
      Ouch. I am from 'Up North', but I didn't have my children for the purpose of having them being provided for by the government. Granted, I didn't pull out the financial statements prior to conception either.

This is an incredibly touchy subject, but I am sure Oink will chime in lol!

Touchy because 'forward thinking' is not on anyone's repertoire really (except those from 'up north') when making the complicated decision to have children, notwithstanding the 'oops', the 'lies' etc.

I personally didn't forsee the softwood lumber dispute starting and seemingly to never end that decimated an incredibly successful business. Was I supposed to and make sure I didn't have kids? If it hadn't of tanked I would not be getting any CCTB etc.

C'mon. Anger at financial assistance has an underlying position that it ought not be given. And wouldn't that be sad for the children who didn't chose those parents who didn't 'forward think'.

Comment

I was going to suggest that her doctor be financially responsible - to some extent. However, I just googled him. He's lost his license .... negligence... by implanting so many fetuses at once.

Octomom's Doctor Files for Bankruptcy | TMZ.com

Comment

You have to account that people having recourse to fertility drug impact.

Even if there is people does the things mention above, it is a minority and we cannot punish the children for that. They are the future in our society and will be the one paying the tax to support you when you withdraw the CPP.

If you look a the statistic the average of # of child per familly is very low.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...mil50a-eng.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three View Post
            Ouch. I am from 'Up North', but I didn't have my children for the purpose of having them being provided for by the government. Granted, I didn't pull out the financial statements prior to conception either.

This is an incredibly touchy subject, but I am sure Oink will chime in lol!

Touchy because 'forward thinking' is not on anyone's repertoire really (except those from 'up north') when making the complicated decision to have children, notwithstanding the 'oops', the 'lies' etc.

I personally didn't forsee the softwood lumber dispute starting and seemingly to never end that decimated an incredibly successful business. Was I supposed to and make sure I didn't have kids? If it hadn't of tanked I would not be getting any CCTB etc.

C'mon. Anger at financial assistance has an underlying position that it ought not be given. And wouldn't that be sad for the children who didn't chose those parents who didn't 'forward think'.
            mom2three, when I say "up north" , I mean 'way,'way 'way up north. I live "up north" myself...'way 'way up north. When I moved to Hamilton Ontario for a short time many years ago, I was surprised that "up north" meant where their cottages were. It's very subjective.

People in southern ontario have no idea what it's like up north. I say this in a loving way. I also might be moving to London ON after the divorce. I have long-lost relatives in London & Windsor.

I'm not against people have a lot of kids, as long as their parents raise them in a loving and responsible way. It just angers me that there are people who neglect their kids, and a lot of these kids have FAS. I met a sweet little girl (from among the people I referred to) with this condition. It broke my heart to realize that she will never reach her potential. She will always be disabled and will always need someone around to care for her and to guide her in her every day activities.

This little girl appeared to be very intelligent if she had only had the chance to develop in her mothers womb in a healthy way. This was her birthright and her mother didn't care. She knew better but selfishly drank any way. She destroyed her daughter's birth right to have a normal and happy life.

I was told by the social worker that if the government takes the children away because of neglect, the parent(s)will purposely try and bring another child(ren) into this world, under the same conditions that the previous child was taken away from. What a sad situation for these children. And what a cost to the taxpayers.
            Last edited by caranna; 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
              So we just bendover, accept it, and let it carry on without a stop to this madness? Now people won't go out and buy a Ferrari they can't afford would they and expect others to help them pay for it would they? i.e Kids are expensive, a Ferrari is expensive to maintain
              Maybe the day come for you to withdraw the CPP, we can also said that you should be denied on the base that you should have plan your retirement better or in your sickness or unemployment, there should be on social assistance.

C'mon children are the most precious thing in our society and yes you should just bendover and accept it and they even deserve more. The children have no control in which family they are born in.

Look, we run an help 3r world countries but would not help our own canadian children...
              Last edited by Moolight; 04-07-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I'm sure it's not a 'bed of roses' for those people who have to get government assistance to provide for their children. I am also sure these children are loved by their parents.

Problem exists where parents, who are in financially deplorable situation who continue to bring more and more children into the world with the EXPECTATION that the government will provide. Some people see having more children as a way to increase the monthly family income. Not many countries in the world pay you to have kids. Seems to me the more kids you have the more subsidies you qualify for.

I have to tell you I was quite amazed at how much the government 'baby bonus' pays. When my son was young it was around 25.00 a month. Until a few months ago I didn't comprehend how someone could be doing well by collecting CS as well as the government handout. It's actually quite shocking.

How much is daycare costing these days? I believe it was around 400.00 a month for full time high-quality daycare with low staff to child ratio 25 yrs ago.

Comment

Carana: situation you describe happens in probably every province. It is pretty disgusting. I worked in a fed prison on a project and I met some of those FAS individuals.... 2nd generation crack addicts with baby in the belly and pimp sending money to their prison accounts. Now with criminal records these young women have little future ahead of themselves. The cycle continues.

Comment

Very interesting subject...

About a year ago, I was distributing raw dog food (yes you read that right- my dogs eat raw)... there was one family I delivered to who bred Huskys... her dogs were very well taken care of... every time I went to deliver to her (once a month), there seemed to be a new kid around... I stopped the distributing last year and at that time she had 5 children... ranging in ages... this family was what most would fall hillbillys. I really don't mean that to be rude, but that is what they were... their kids were typically dirty, always sick and really didn't seem like they were well cared for... there were times we had to wait for payment because she was waiting for her baby bonus money... just last week I saw on facebook that she was expecting her 6th child...

Unfortunately this type of thing does happen... those in cities may not hear of it often, but where I live, we have a ton of Mennonite families and they typically have very large families.

Comment

ummm last time I received money from the government would have been when I was a student and that was a provincial bursary. I have filed and paid income tax for my whole life. I am a contributor and thankfully not a recipient of social welfare.

My ex extorted and destroyed my means to be financially independent. The court recognized that and awarded me significant spousal support. Pretty simple. Get over it Slughead.
                      Last edited by arabian; 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM. Reason: forgot the word 'significant'

Comment

Originally posted by slughead10 View Post
                        taking money from your ex for spousal support is social welfare.
                        You've likely never paid a cent in SS so what would you know about the matter? Do you even have an ex wife?

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for us. Makes sense and explains your lack of education and understanding on many of the subjects you do comment on.

Keep your chin up Slughead. You know how to use a computer and a gun Life can't be too bad for you. Some day you might even get some friends. Who knows, even a girlfriend!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                            ummm last time I received money from the government would have been when I was a student and that was a provincial bursary.
                            Government money comes in many ways. Have you received medical treatment? Do you drive on public higways? Do you drink potable water? Have you utilized the justice system?

All paid for with public funds. Allow me to stir the pot (because I do take issue with children going hungry because of lack of social welfare funding); how many children could have been fed with the funds the public purse spent while you used the justice system?

There are many valid arguments for and against changing public assitance. No doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by slughead10 View Post
                              we dont call em girlfriends...their breeding stock.....
                              OMG - last time I heard that line, I was at "Young's General Store" - ring a bell Slughead? Seems to be a 'phrase' near those areas.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X