This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchanging financial information and income taxes

I have a question concerning the exchange of financial information between support payors and recipients on an annual basis, as mandated by law:

Say the Payor works a salaried job, and files income tax returns religiously every year. Say the Recipient has chosen not to work, has not filed income tax returns for close to 10 years, and has decided not to file going forward.

In such a situation, when it comes time to exchange financial information in the form of NOAs, returns, etc., what can the Payor reasonably expect from the Recipient as part of the exchange??

If the Recipient is actually earning income but that income is not reported on an annual return or in any other way, how would the the Payor be able to get accurate information on the Recipient's financial circumstances, for things like determining the proportional payment amounts of S7 expenses, for example?

Edited to add:

Those of you who are support Payors and find yourselves in such a situation, how do you deal with the situation?

Those of you who are support Recipients who are in a similar situation (ie. have not filed income tax returns for years and have chosen to continue not to), what are the reasons behind such a decision? (Please note that by asking this question I don't intend to cast any judgment or opinion on what you as a support Recipient choose to do or not to do, I'm simply trying to understand)
    Last edited by Exquizique; 07-16-2012, 10:20 AM.

My ex receives a number of government benefits (CCTB, UCB, CDB) which form the part of her income which doesn't come from me.

In which case, CRA is paying her. I asked for a copy of her account status from CRA (this is available online any time) which shows the monthly amounts, or a bank statement showing the amount of the deposits coming from CRA.

However my ex elected not to produce ANY documentation proving her income from CRA. She hoped I would "take her word for it" and gave me some numbers. You are able to go online and use calculators to estimate these benefits yourself, which is the best I could do to make sure our section 7 proportions are at least in the right ballpark.

In the end, my ex got her CS increase and we adjusted the portion of S7 expenses, and I simply put a note that she didn't provide disclosure but that I did, and increased my support anyways. If a judge needs to rule on it in the future, it becomes pretty clear who the reasonable party is, especially when it becomes a pattern. (which is always is with my ex)

Comment

Thanks Winterwolf ... so just to clarify, you estimated the amount of government benefits that your ex was receiving through the available online calculators, and used that to adjust proportionate amounts for S7 expenses? She went along with that?

Comment

(Bumping to see if there is any additional feedback.)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X