This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desperate need of advise for a divorce

Hello my name is Tony I am a 29yrs from Kitchener, Ontario. In May of last year I was introduced to a lady from Egypt by my aunt, she is actually my aunts husbands neice. We spent a couple weeks getting to know eachother via the internet. She then applied for a visitors visa to come to Canada but was refused, although in the interview she lied and told the Canadian Embassy she just wants to visit her uncles family and has no plans on marrying anyone from Canada or immigrating to Canada at all. So she sent an Egyptian document giving her uncle the power of attorney. On June 6th we had a muslim ceremony in Hamilton Ontario and got married although she has never been present in Canada, her uncle was her power of attorney through this Egyptian Document. Much later I found out her family wrote on the marriage license in case of a divorce I would have to pay her $5000.

I then traveled to Egypt for our honeymoon for 1 month and got her to sign the immigration papers. She did get refused 2 times by immigration canada and I was in the process of appeal until she recently confessed to me via internet audio/video yahoo messenger that she only married me to immigrate to Canada. Upon hearing this I stopped the immigration appeal and desperatly want a divorce from her. Can you tell me if I am liable for the $5000 that was written on the marriage license even if she is not present in Canada? I truly was taken advantage of, her family played a very dirty game. How can I go abouts in obtaining a divorce from her and the ammount of time and money it takes to obtaining a divorce? The marriage license was handed in to city hall 10 days after the 90 days hand in limit. Fortunatly we have no kids together, I thank our Lord for that. I am on ODSP and CPP Disability and can't afford to pay the $5000. Do you know if legal aid would apply to me for obtaining a divorce? Please I am in desperate need of your advice, your advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you and may God Bless.
    Tony
    email tonyf8181@yahoo.com

I think anyone receiving public assistance qualifies for legal aid. Doesn't hurt to go to the local legal aid office and fill out an application.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X