X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal support and Line 150 Income Tax

Hello,

If receiving spousal support is a matter of adding the amount to the personal income, in turn, does the payment for child support get calulated based on the combined income?

thnx

You mean the SS inclusive income?

You better believe it.

Comment

If you have the child support guidelines, look up worksheet 1.

You start off with net income, and deduct a few things, including any CS and SS that is included in your Net Income.

There are a few other adjustments to make to line 150 for CS, but the other factors are mostly about business or investment income.

Comment

Wait wait wait.

I don't get it.

I thought CS was always calculated BEFORE considering SS.

Is SS part of line 150 or not???

This has been a big pain for me since my SS agreement is not based on need, but on compensation and therefore it would make sense to calculate CS AFTER SS is removed from my income and added to my exs. BUT both the lawyers said you have to do CS BEFORE considering SS, meaning the judge wants to see CS based on income that does not include SS. This meant for me doing some ugly math on the SS to make it all work out the same...

Comment

I was wrong above, SS is excluded from income. See The Federal Child Support Guidelines: Step-by-Step.

Sorry about that.

Comment

More Information Please

I thought Spousal Support is part of line 150 on your income tax form. Therefore it made up part of your income?

Please explain how this works for me, cause I am paying child support and receiving spousal.

Comment

Look at the link I gave in post #5. The worksheet clearly takes line 150 income and reduces it by SS received before going to the table.

Comment

Okay thank you. I will work with the table over the weekend.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X