Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a pet

Hi all. Long time.

I wanted to get a pet, either a kitten or a dog. I want it because my dr. reccomended it for my depression. Another reason is my son would love a pet.

Thing is, he stays 1 week with me and 1 week with his mom. He cannot keep the pet when at mom;s so I am worried if that would bring stress on the kid like he will miss the pet every 7 days. Even if his mom and her parents did allow a cat, then I have to be without pet for a week. And it might not be good for pet either changing residence, maybe...

Any opinions?

Go ahead and get a pet. You are separated and living apart so the pet would stay with you. It doesn’t go back and forth between houses. Your child will love it and will look forward to visits with you even more. Don’t worry about them missing it when they’re gone for a week. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Comment

This is a no-brainer. Get the pet. Half time with a pet is more than enough for kids.

Comment

Get the pet. I have 3 (2 cats and a dog at my place) and the ex has 2 (a cat and a dog). The kid knows that they don't travel between houses etc.

It isn't something I would work myself about. Simply let the kid know that you are getting a pet for your place. Simple as that.

Comment

remember - pets require care and cost money.

Responsible pet-owners don't leave their animals alone for long periods of time and:

Cats - cleaning litter box out DAILY for the next 15 - 20 years
          Dogs - walking every day and cleaning up their shit for the next 12 - 15 years

fresh water DAILY flea treatments MONTHLY and visits to Vet ANNUALLY.

Comment

Get a pet for your house. Your kid will understand it stays at your house because its YOUR pet not theirs. Added bonus you can teach your child responsibility when they are with you. Stop overthinking it!!

Comment

yes you are completely over thinking this, just get the pet! no one makes theirpet travel back and forth with the children. The kids will be just fine!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X