This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Secondary Expenses

I have a daugher who is in College. She finally presented me with receipts (after much reminding) for her first year. She is contributing a grand total of $12 towards her education although she was able to maintain a blackberry and go to Mexico for vacation.
    I currently pay CS for both kids (table amount). In the agreement it said I had to pay 51% of tuition, books and transportation.
    My question is about the cost for post secondary. She has not discussed any of her expenses with me. She has included the cost of a new laptop and software (although they do have a computer in the house) as well as car insurance. Do I have to pay for the car insurance?

Also she has gone ahead and bought a new car, which I know will end up on next years expenses. Will I have to pay for that?

Does anyone have any advice?

In the agreement it said I had to pay 51% of tuition, books and transportation. My question is about the cost for post secondary. She has not discussed any of her expenses with me. She has included the cost of a new laptop and software (although they do have a computer in the house) as well as car insurance.
    Don't see anything about laptops in there. Is it specifically required by the course? If so, it'd be in the list of supplies needed which should be available on the website for the school and you should probably pony up the cost.

On the other hand if it's a want, not a course requirement then she should have discussed it with you prior to purchasing it and I am sure you would have helped her out. Especially given all post secondary institutions have computer labs nowadays and they have a PC already in the home. In that instance then no, you wouldn't be obligated to pay for it.

Do I have to pay for the car insurance?
    Depends (see below)

Also she has gone ahead and bought a new car, which I know will end up on next years expenses. Will I have to pay for that?
    Short answer: No.

Long Answer: Also no.

First question: Is there public transportation available to get her to and from her place of residence to the school?

Is she living with her mother or on/off campus? (I'm assuming with her mother)

If she is with her mother, you're on the hook for either a 51% of a bus pass (if available in the area) or for 51% of transport costs, which would be gas money and whatever portion of the car insurance would be. (I'm assuming her mother is contributing the other 49% and your daughter is not eligible for student loans/etc.)

Re: the insurance. Up until she bought the car, was she on her mother's insurance or her own? If she was 3rd party under her mother's insurance, then buying a car and necessitating her OWN insurance is a choice. You'd be obligated for 51% of the the prior cost.

It's all a moot point if there is available public transit in the area. A car is a WANT, not a NEED. She NEEDS transportation and if there is public transit in the area that suits her needs then that is what she should be using, unless it's discussed with your previously.

Comment

She lives with her mother. This is a second car for them. There is no transit between where they live and the school.
      I guess I have to cover the car insurance, but what about the brand new car?
      The laptop is a nice to have as her course is not computer based or she is not going into a field that requires a computer to work.

Thanks... any other advice is most welcome.

Comment

Nope. You don't have to cover the brand new car. Car insurance and gas money. Had she tried to make arrangements to find alternate transportation? (someone at the same college perhaps that would be willing to drive for gas money?)

That's what students in her situation without court orders need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
          That's what students in her situation without court orders need to do.
          My thoughts exactly! ;-)

Much, make sure that before you agree to paying for anything other than tuition and books, you consult with a lawyer and make sure you're not being taken for a ride... as the bottomless ATM.

Comment

Laptops are on the list of requirments for some courses, not all of them computer based. A lot of profs want the students to all have similar computers with required software as well as be able to network with each other for conferencing etc, the simplest way is to add an approved laptop to the course requiremnts so there is never a question about compatability etc. This is more a result of years of students saying they couldn't get their homework done because the dog ate their pc or other such excuses, they just add it to the course requirements to be done with it.

Course required laptops should be through the university bookstore and have a student discount. In any case, it's either required or not, don't fret about it, just check on the school website or call the admissions office and get the facts.

Comment

I personally think a computer is necessary in todays age. While the course may not be computer based, assignments are expected to be typed - I wouldn't fight that expense!

I wouldn't pay for a new car. When I lived at home I helped with the car insurance and gas money so I suspect you will be expected to contribute but certainly not every single tank of gas!

Hopefully graduation date is near!

Comment

If you want your child to learn responsibility you will only pay for what your are required. IMO a brand new car is a luxury, one that I didn't get until I could pay for it myself. You cannot be forced to pay for her car (I hope!) but you shouldn't agree to it anyway. If she has only contributed $12 to her first year of education that is not showing a whole lot of responsibility.

FWIW most parents are only ordered to pay a portion of the post-secondary, the children themselves are responsible for 1/3. Why isn't your daughter contributing?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X