X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Stereotyping in Media - Clorox

Amid fury, Clorox pulls post insulting new dads - CNN.com

Just when you think derogatory stereotypes about dads are on the decline as fathers take a more hands-on role in child-rearing, along comes an online posting by a major brand that shows not everyone got the memo.
    And this one -- published, then pulled, by Clorox -- charts new terrain in depicting first-time fathers as clueless buffoons.
    Good Luck!
    Tayken

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
    I find this kind of thnig offensive. I am now used to men being protrayed as idiots in ads, but this is over the line. Yeah I get its supposed to be funny. I still don't enjoy it. Some may argue that this is nothing after years of negative female stereotypes. I say two wrongs don't make a right, one doesn't justify the other.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
      I find this kind of thnig offensive. I am now used to men being protrayed as idiots in ads, but this is over the line. Yeah I get its supposed to be funny. I still don't enjoy it. Some may argue that this is nothing after years of negative female stereotypes. I say two wrongs don't make a right, one doesn't justify the other.
      2011 Super Bowl Commercials: Why is Physically Harming Men Funny? | Shrink4Men

I found it beyond offensive myself. I was pleased to see that males were unwilling to accept Clorox's conduct and such conduct making headline news on CNN.

No more dumb old dad: Changing the bumbling father stereotype - CNN.com

http://www.change.org/petitions/we-r...es-not-dummies

Another excellent article:

No, dads, get some sleep - CNN.com

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Agreed, this stereotype in 21st century media is highly prevalent, very harmful and very disgusting. I blame Homer Simpson for starting it... another horrible example was:

The publicity of both American women who severed their husbands penis' resulted in hilarity in the media for years. The View is especially infamous for this as I recall. Yet we don't put butchers who mutilate the genitals of woman on daytime TV to applause and laughter.

Comment

Think of all the dads in sitcoms portrayed as stupid, foolish or losers or hell not present!

-homer
          -family guy
          -modern family

what else?

Comment

I have always thought these derogatory commercials about Dads offensive and embarrassing to watch. My STBX did not so much as lift a finger to help with the children or housework all those years. If he had, I would have been very grateful and patient for any attempts he had made.

With Dads now involved much more with raising their children, whether or not the family is intact, they should be encouraged, not made fun of and harassed.

Comment

I'd be more concerned about this, if the media wasn't equal opportunity for gender bashing. Frankly, beyond equal, still heavily in favor of female bashing. How many of you watched the past Super Bowl?

Super Bowl Ads Serve Up Sexism - Forbes

sexual assault, waitresses are strippers, etc., etc., etc.
              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

???? 43 (Movie 43) ????? ?? ?????? - Tampax - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                  I'd be more concerned about this, if the media wasn't equal opportunity for gender bashing. Frankly, beyond equal, still heavily in favor of female bashing. How many of you watched the past Super Bowl?

McDreamy, I had thought about the female bashing ads and was tempted to post about them at the time. They are so commonplace that most people seem to tolerate them and accept them as "normal" which they certainly are not. Now many young girls and women try to emulate these stereotypes. So sad.

Wretchedotis, that ad would be composed by a mentally sick misogynistic fool. How it ever got passed in the country of origin is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post

Well believe it or not, I don't always watch the superbowl nor the ads. One doesn't justify the other, both should be addressed.

Comment

"Clorox" mentioned the posting was made by a "father", freelance writer. I wonder if that's even true? It struck me as something that a father would not write.

That freelance writer is not very humourous either. Like has been echoed already, it was just "dumb".

Comment

I HATE these types of ads. I remember the tylenol one with the guy with the powerwasher who's so clueless that he manages to blast away a patio table (with dinner settings on it).

I must say though. I'm also sick of women being portrayed as know-it-all control freaks in commercials too. Its irritating as hell.

As a minority, I can tell you that even worse than both of these gender stereotypes are the black ones. I'm so sick of every f'ing McDonald's McRib commercial starring hefty black people with a Barry White style announcer. Some of us are f'ing vegetarians...we don't all eat pork and buckets of fried chicken. Black women are routinely portrayed as loud, obnoxious, overbearing, thick women...and let me tell you...I'm none of those things. I'm soft-spoken, I give deference to people speaking, I'm a healthy vegetarian, and I never get in people's faces. (I will admit to doing that head-wag thing a few times when I get pissed off cause my kids think its hilarious).

And believe me, minority and female stereotyping has been going on for a longgggg time. So men are just in the last 5 years joining the marketing group's hit list. I've been putting up with this crap since birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                          I HATE these types of ads...

...As a minority, I can tell you that even worse than both of these gender stereotypes are the black ones. I'm so sick of every f'ing McDonald's McRib commercial starring hefty black people with a Barry White style announcer. Some of us are f'ing vegetarians...we don't all eat pork and buckets of fried
                          So you're not "McLovin' it". :-)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X