Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should sperm donors ever have to pay child support?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should sperm donors ever have to pay child support?

Interesting article about sperm donator having to possibly pay child support.

Should sperm donors ever have to pay child support? U.S. man fights state orders | Shine On - Shine from Yahoo! Canada

Some people would insist that all their ex was.... a sperm donor!

Comment

The issue with this case was that it wasn't an anonomous sperm donation via sperm bank. It didn't go through the proper channels and once the one parent tried to go on welfare/disability etc., the gov't went after all sources of income possible. In this case, c/s.

Personally, I don't believe in cases of sperm donation that the "father" should be held liable for c/s for two reasons:

1. sperm donation was intended to be an anonomous act so that those that could not conceive naturally would have an alternative option. To cause the donator to pay c/s would be punative and would lead to my next point:

2. if donators could possibly held liable for c/s, men who may otherwise donate, now likely would not. This would dry up the pool and all but eliminate the option from persons who relied on sperm donators.

It would be one big step towards destroying the ability of couples, especially lesbian couples, possibility of having children.

Comment

Donating sperm is the equivalent of putting a child up for adoption.

As Hammerdad pointed out, in this case it didn't go through official channels, so think of it as someone just "giving" another person their child, as opposed to a formal adoption. Of course the father is liable for support in this case. If not, it opens up a can of worms where any man could claim that he donated his sperm and didn't have to pay support. There is no paperwork to prove it either way.

I am wondering if in Kansas at that time, lesbian couples were able to go through recognized channels for an "official" sperm donation. If not, they would have a clear argument that enforcement in this support matter would constitute a violation of their constitutional rights.

Comment

sad to say it is too complex a question for me to be willing to debate.

Ufortunately, from a striclty 'logic' perspective - the donor 'father' would be afforded too many rights.

imho.

Comment

My answer to the posted question is a big "NO, they should not ever have to pay c/s."

Comment

Ejaculation is an action not a right.

Comment

if it is thru a sperm bank then no the donor should not pay support. If he did it to help out the couple then yes. the onus would have been on him to find out what repercussions his actions may hold for him in the future.

Was he paid for the sperm? Not that it would make a difference anyways but I am wondering if there is a loop hole somewhere.

Comment

Assuming sperm bank usage terms preclude chasing the donor for child support...

And given that child support (i.e. income from 2 adults) is the right of every child,

Then logically a woman should not be permitted the choice of raising a child with only one income i.e. to use a sperm bank - unless there is a committed partner who can be held liable for CS.

So I guess that leads towards making the partner sign a contract stating they accept responsibilities of a parent (in lieu of the donor).

Comment

lol. funny title

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                      Assuming sperm bank usage terms preclude chasing the donor for child support...

And given that child support (i.e. income from 2 adults) is the right of every child,

Then logically a woman should not be permitted the choice of raising a child with only one income i.e. to use a sperm bank - unless there is a committed partner who can be held liable for CS.

So I guess that leads towards making the partner sign a contract stating they accept responsibilities of a parent (in lieu of the donor).
                      False logic. Show me where it says that child support from two parents is the right of every child. Children who have single parents because of the death of a parent, or who have a parent dissapear do not magically get a second parent's income. Sperm donors are donating to help people concieve who don't have other options, usually because of fertility issues.

I was asked once. Friend of my ex's had issues. I said no. Anonymous would be fine, but I would feel weird about seeing my child and not acknowledging them as such.

Comment

Originally posted by slughead10 View Post
                        or an incubator
                        I do have an old friend, who has an unmarried daughter with a young child. The father initially didn't want anything to do with the child, but now is trying to see the child. She calls him derisively the sperm donor. I think that sets him up for failure. The child, who spends a lot of time with Grandma, will pick up on that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X