Settlement Conferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement Conferences

Can anyone tell me how long this type of conference is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes as long as they need to be to reach an agreement.

Comment

Mine have always been booked for an hour in front of the Judge, then we are sent away to try and settle issues, and the brought back in for an endorsement (if anything was settled) or another try at settlement with the judge (mine takes a long time because my ex is self-representing and does not know Ontario Family Law or court procedures so a lot of time is spent explaining why decisions are made that he thinks are “unfair”). Assume you will be at the court house till 5pm, your start time may be delayed if the cases before you go long.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
        Mine have always been booked for an hour in front of the Judge, then we are sent away to try and settle issues, and the brought back in for an endorsement (if anything was settled) or another try at settlement with the judge (mine takes a long time because my ex is self-representing and does not know Ontario Family Law or court procedures so a lot of time is spent explaining why decisions are made that he thinks are “unfair”). Assume you will be at the court house till 5pm, your start time may be delayed if the cases before you go long.

Wow that’s really how they go? So very different From a case conference...

So will the judge ask questions to us both? And do our lawyers get to question the other person at all?

My ex doesn’t usually speak or think for himself. So I’m not sure how any decisions. Will be made or agreed upon. Is anyone else allowed in the court room? Like partners ?

Comment

You can request it is the four of you. The new partner is not a party to the matter and should not be in the room. The two lawyers will go back and forth and try to reach an agreement.

I think because there was an ocl report, the judge may have a greater role.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            You can request it is the four of you. The new partner is not a party to the matter and should not be in the room. The two lawyers will go back and forth and try to reach an agreement.

I think because there was an ocl report, the judge may have a greater role.

No report. Investigation still going. Trying to get the 21st adjourned. Otherwise waste of money.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X