Homeschooling and Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeschooling and Support

My ex has taken it upon herself to take the kids out of school and homeschool them. She herself has no education, the kids were always late for school but did well in school. She likes to sleep in and smokes weed all day. I have called children aid but to no help. I don't have money for lawyers to play around unless something can really be done.
    The kids do nothing...they teach themselves with youtube, a curriculum book u get at costco for $10. They have a math program thats online that they are to answer questions and it shows the parent an average based on ontario curriculum...they are failing, they have 30% average according to the site.
    This has gone on two years now and i need to know if i can do anything about it.
    I have joint custody, however she alienates them from me and my son doesn't talk to me really and hasn't visited me in 2 years.
    Im most scared for their education obviously, but also am wondering when will child support ever end in a situation like this.

How old are the children?

If you have joint custody, when the ex pulled them out of school originally, you should have notified her by registered letter that you do not agree with her decision to remove the children from school and that the children should continue to be registered in regular school.

Unfortunately you sat on your hands. As such, while you may not have agreed, you inaction has given implied consent to the current situation.

If you are truly concerned, you will likely have to file a motion to have the children re-registered in school as they are falling behind academically. You will need evidence of the kids poor education from the whatever means you can get.

As for your relationship with the children, that is something you need to work on. The age of the kids will dictate what can and cannot be done. If the kids are 14-15, you may be SOL. If they are younger, they really don't have a choice in whether or not they come with you.

Comment

kids are 13 and 11 now.
      I called CAS, their school many times, school board and even tried with local MPP. They all said it was out of their hands and the mother could withdrawl them if she wanted to, even though I had joint custody they said it only needed her to do it.
      Only evidence i have is what one of the children tells me what goes on there....and has shown me when visiting the online program. But I don't know passwords to check the online program, mother won't allow it or allow kids to give it to me.
      I don't have any money for lawyers...she however has married into money and well covered to fight me in court however Im not. Already have nothing left, bad situation.
      Looks hopeless

Comment

I am not sure what your situation is, but if it provides for you to try and get them half the time you might want to do this and educate them, might have to pay less child support as well.
        Then you can make sure your doing your best to help them, I went for full time custody of mine, hired my sister as a full time live in nanny until the young one is a little older. You might be met with resistance as the children are older and might think your being mean if you force them to do stuff, not to mention the ex most likely says bad things about you around them. Trying wouldn't hurt.

Comment

When did she remove them from school?

What are her reasons?

Comment

They live almost 2 hours away from me....again she took them there and lawyers said i could do nothing. I can't move from where I am though.

She took them out about 2 years ago....ive been trying to talk to who I can to get them back in...but am turned away everywhere. From what I see its perfectly legal to do and can't force any kind of testing either. Its a real joke.

She took them out because she is one of those...government is out to get me, kind of person. You know...schools are dumbing kids down. Figures she can teach them better by letting them learn when and what they want.......which is nothing. They were doing really really well in school...no issues at all. I used to keep in contact with the school and go in and talk to teachers, secretary etc....I don't think she liked that I knew they were attending late all the time, cuz she couldn't get her ass out of bed and get them there on time. The school used to send me letters advising me of their late days.

Comment

Unfortuntely 2 years is a long time, and its going to be hard to break that status quo.

You could try filing a motion asking for them to be placed in school, but if she is meeting the school boards criteria for homeschooling, then it is doubtful you will be able to get them forced back in.

You say you have joint legal custody, but what is your current access schedule. You will have to show the judge that you are actively involved, and a plan for their education moving forward.

Comment

was joint custody and i could have them every other weekend. Which i did for a few years until I got remarried.. then all got worse with ex and down hill even more from there. No answering phone calls, kids wouldn't come here anymore....i literally could never get through. I know many other dads are in my position, and courts don't do anything anyways. Hand slap to the mom and again it all continues.
                The fact that the papers say I have joint custody means nothing. She controls the whole situation. I tried forcing kids to come but they just resent it. Also resent it when i even ask of their 'schooling'.
                Once you withdraw kids from school, nobody follows up to check on them....its all on the parents to do/teach what they want. Its crazy.

Comment

How long has it been since you have seen your kids?

My ex did much of the same stuff. She had sole custody and I had every other weekend. Once I got married she got even worse. The courts did act eventually but it took a lot of work on my part, staying on top of everything, and staying involved even when I got doors slapped in my face.

Unfortunately if there has been a great period of time that you did not see the kids, if they have been in a new school situation for 2 years, and given their age, I am not sure if a court will side with you.

You need to start trying to get access right away. If the kids have not seen you for a while ask them to go for some dinners, or something they would be interested in just to start back up the relationship.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X