Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call off legal proceedings "during this window of opportunity"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call off legal proceedings "during this window of opportunity"?

For the last several years I've had tremendous difficulty in having a relationship with my Son. This past year it's escalated to the point where my phone calls go mainly unanswered (in previous years I was working with one of her family members who passed away) and all of my direct attempts to discuss issues with my ex have been ignored.

I started legal proceedings to address many of the issues we've experienced, including a fixed visitation schedule and outlining responsibilities of each parent and I expect our first appearance within the next couple of weeks.

Now I am being told by my father (who is in contact with that side of the family) that there is a "window of opportunity" to get back on track and move forward, provided I discontinue the legal avenue to addressing these problems.

With the idea they are interested in moving forward, I've left a couple of voice messages, one to the ex and the other to her mother, asking about visiting with my Son, but thus far they go unreturned. I've also asked Family Justice to contact her regarding mediation (the second time this year) but based on my experiences these past few years I am quite skeptical of any progress actually being had.

I'm.. stunned.. though, that now that I've filed papers all of sudden there are signals being sent that they are willing to move forward without going to court - but they are still ignoring the basics of returning a phone call!

Has anyone else been through a similar situation? What to make of this?

I would continue with the legal case..If they haven't been true to their word in the past, I wouldn't put everything aside thinking they are going to follow through.

You didn't mention how old the child was?

Comment

5 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew View Post
        For the last several years I've had tremendous difficulty in having a relationship with my Son. This past year it's escalated to the point where my phone calls go mainly unanswered (in previous years I was working with one of her family members who passed away) and all of my direct attempts to discuss issues with my ex have been ignored.

I started legal proceedings to address many of the issues we've experienced, including a fixed visitation schedule and outlining responsibilities of each parent and I expect our first appearance within the next couple of weeks.

Now I am being told by my father (who is in contact with that side of the family) that there is a "window of opportunity" to get back on track and move forward, provided I discontinue the legal avenue to addressing these problems.

With the idea they are interested in moving forward, I've left a couple of voice messages, one to the ex and the other to her mother, asking about visiting with my Son, but thus far they go unreturned. I've also asked Family Justice to contact her regarding mediation (the second time this year) but based on my experiences these past few years I am quite skeptical of any progress actually being had.

I'm.. stunned.. though, that now that I've filed papers all of sudden there are signals being sent that they are willing to move forward without going to court - but they are still ignoring the basics of returning a phone call!

Has anyone else been through a similar situation? What to make of this?
        Get a Court Order for access to your son including phone access - anything other than a Court Order can and most likely will be ignored by your ex leaving you in the same boat you are in now. If your ex ignores a Court Order she will be in Contempt of Court which is a serious charge.

File a Motion with the Court requesting a regular access schedule (including phone access). Only a Court Order will rectify your situation once and for good.

Comment

continue with the legal proceedings, the past is a sure indicator of the future

Comment

You've provided plenty of opportunity to deal in good faith outside of the legal system. The fact that your calls are not being returned should say it all. Even if you did get a return call, any promises made cannot be enforced. You'll be right back where you started. Do the right thing and get legal access to your son. He's growing up and every day you waste playing their games is a day in his life that you've missed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X