Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:06 PM

Hopefundad is on a distinguished road
Default Child Support questions

I recently received an email from my ex lawyer, and she requests me to sign a consent to resolve the issue of ongoing child support without prejudice basis. She mentioned the change effective date was October 01, 2020. I am not sure how will this works, is that mean I have to pay her more CS starting October 1, but now already November. How will FRO take the extra money from me? I am not sure if I can pay her October plus November together effective immediately. Amy advice would be help.

A little of background, we are still waiting for trial. She has a lawyer, but I am self rep now because I used up all my money and loan toward my previous lawyer.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:53 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Was there an increase in your income? If yes then your cs should increase.

You can agree on the condition that you are able to pay the increased amount over a period of time. If you already paid October you will only pay the increase difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2020, 11:42 PM

Thank you rockscan. Yes CS is going up. Glad to know it is possible to pay the increase over period of time. With loan payment and increase CS at the same time is tight.

We had a case conference two months ago, I offered gradually increase parenting time and increase CS. She didn’t take my offers that time and today her lawyer send me the consent to resolve the issue of ongoing child support without prejudice basis, but didn’t mention about parenting time.

I am really not sure if this is normal she come backs after two months and accept only CS offer.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:47 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefundad View Post
I am really not sure if this is normal she come backs after two months and accept only CS offer.
Sounds like they made you a new offer, and that they did not accept part of your old offer. The new offer only deals with CS.

If you sign their offer on consent, then CS is resolved on consent.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:31 PM

Thank you Janus. You are right! I still need time to get used to the processes.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:22 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

I have received the court order for the new amount of CS in December. Do I have to submit the new court order to FRO or my ex/her lawyer will do so?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:18 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Happy New Year everyone!

I have received the court order for the new amount of CS in December. Do I have to submit the new court order to FRO or my ex/her lawyer will do so?

Thank you in advance.
Is it higher or lower than your previous amount?

If it is lower, don't expect them to file it on your behalf
Old 01-06-2021, 11:28 PM

Thank you for the rely Janus. The new amount is higher, I am just wonder is it my responsibility to file the new court order to FRO. I have searched around but can’t really find any info.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:08 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you for the rely Janus. The new amount is higher, I am just wonder is it my responsibility to file the new court order to FRO. I have searched around but cant really find any info.

Either one of you can submit it. When you did the order did you not sign a sheet on support deduction order? It takes a few months for FRO to process. You can call them to see if they have it. I also suggest you put the extra funds into an account each month (if you arent paying them already) to cover the amount when it is finally processed. You WILL get a bill for that full amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 11:28 PM

Thank you for your advice Rockscan. I don't think I have signed the "support deduction order". My ex's lawyer only sent me the "consent to resolve the issue of ongoing child support without prejudice basis" back in November and I got the new court order for updated CS amount in December. I will follow up with FRO as your advise and put extra money to cover the increase. Really appreciate for everyone helpful input.