how do i stop receiving letters from my lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i stop receiving letters from my lawyer

We signed a separation agreement in January during a four way meeting and i considered it final and paid my lawyers bill up to date. As far as i was concerned that was the end of my dealings with my lawyer but nothing was put in writing.
    This week my ex phoned her lawyer with regards to a question relating to our equalization of rrsp`s.
    The first thing her lawyer does is draft a letter (supposedly unknown to my ex) and send it to my lawyer asking for proof of rrsp transfers. My lawyer then forwards it to me.The issue of the transfers is in hand and not an case for concern.
    My issue is how do i stop receiving letters from her lawyer? Each letter by the time it does the rounds is costing me $200. I phoned my lawyer in regards to this and have not heard back. Can i refuse to pay the bill?

Thanks in advance.

If your lawyer doesn't have a retainer, I'd say don't pay it. Ultimately, it can be reviewed at a higher level and will be knocked down. I did this, albeit a higher number, lawyer backed off. I soon released him thereafter.

Comment

did you get a final itemized bill from the lawyer?

Comment

how do i stop receiving letters from her lawyer?
        Send a polite but short e-mail: "Thank you for your services, however as I see the matter is resolved I release you from your retainer. Please do not respond to any communication as I will not be paying for further services."

Follow up by telling your ex that you are no longer represented.

Ultimately, it can be reviewed at a higher level and will be knocked down.
        It is not always knocked down, and costs can be awarded against someone seeking an assessment of the bill. Be careful (or reasonable).

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
          Send a polite but short e-mail: "Thank you for your services, however as I see the matter is resolved I release you from your retainer. Please do not respond to any communication as I will not be paying for further services."

Follow up by telling your ex that you are no longer represented.

It is not always knocked down, and costs can be awarded against someone seeking an assessment of the bill. Be careful (or reasonable).
          +1 - pay the 200$ and do this

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            did you get a final itemized bill from the lawyer?
            Yes, i did receive a final itemized bill.
            I will take all of your advice and send the email confirming my lawyer is no longer retained before any more letters are sent.

Thank You.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X