Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Ames is on a distinguished road
Default CS from the under or unemployed?

Can someone give me insight into the benefits of pursuing CS through legal channels if the parent in consideration is unemployed?

For perspective, he is employable (fully able-bodied with 2 college diplomas), however, he has a long history of unemployment or underemployment. We, at one point, had drawn up our own separation agreement where he agreed to pay table amounts of child support. He did not hold to this agreement.

Is it worth the headache even if it's likely to not lead to support? Is there a benefit to establishing that you have done your due diligence in trying to secure support for your children? Is the likely fallout worth it?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I see you were on this forum as far back as 2010.

You would therefore know that in order to enforce your SA you would have to register with FRO.

From your previous posts you indicate the father of your children is chronically unemployed.

You would also know that the court can impute a wage for someone who is unemployed.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Can someone give me insight into the benefits of pursuing CS through legal channels if the parent in consideration is unemployed?
How is he supporting himself?

FRO can garnish EI, tax returns and other government money.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Yes, I came here in 2010 initially. After joining, he moved local to us and got a job, and he began parenting 50/50. In June of this year, he moved 8 hours away and bought a house with his girlfriend. He quit his job here to move and says he cannot find a new job. The last time that I asked him what his plans were for work and child support, he was belligerent with me (yelling and swearing) and accused me of harassment. He does not think that we need him to pay because he thinks that my husband makes a lot of money.

To my knowledge, he does not receive EI because he quit his job and he is not on welfare. His girlfriend works and supports him, as I understand.

I avoid confrontations like this even when I know that I need to have them. I get anxious about things like registering with FRO.

Your advice is to go ahead? Even if he will become more difficult to deal with? I am worried about the impact on the kids.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Do I give him a head's up that I am going to pursue this legally, or do I just do it?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

You can file a motion for support and ask that he be imputed an income. You can attempt to get it set at the money he was making at his last job. If that fails you should be able to get him imputed with at a minimum of a full-time minimum wage salary. Which I believe is around $24,000.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Ok.

I feel so anxious about all of this. He will be furious.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:24 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Yup, he will be. But it isn't your problem that supporting his kids makes him angry. If he truly feels he is not obligated to pay, he can take it to court and see if he can get a judge to agree with him.

Do not let him intimidate you out of doing the right thing for your kids.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Do you know how much he made when he was working full-time?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:47 PM

No, I don't know how much. It was a huge ordeal to get him to disclose his income before when we did up our separation agreement. I don't think he made a lot, but I am not sure.