Parental child abduction: Where family law and criminal law intersect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental child abduction: Where family law and criminal law intersect

PARENTAL CHILD ABDUCTION: WHERE FAMILY LAW AND CRIMINAL LAW INTERSECT family assets

Excellent article. Posting now but, will review later and provide some additional comments. It lays out the framework on how to bring forward a criminal charge of criminal abduction against those parents whom without consent or a court order abduct children.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
    PARENTAL CHILD ABDUCTION: WHERE FAMILY LAW AND CRIMINAL LAW INTERSECT family assets

Excellent article. Posting now but, will review later and provide some additional comments. It lays out the framework on how to bring forward a criminal charge of criminal abduction against those parents whom without consent or a court order abduct children.

Good Luck!
    Tayken
    Does taking a child out of country for some period of time without one parent's knowledge and consent constitutes a child abduction? <O</O

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
      Does taking a child out of country for some period of time without one parent's knowledge and consent constitutes a child abduction? <O</O
      Depends.

What is the length of time?

Did the parent intend on returning with the child?

Did the child's absence cause the other parent to miss parenting time?

Abduction would generally involve intent to interfere with the other parents parenting time. If there was no intent to interfere (or it simply doesn't interfere), than one would be hard pressed to prove the kid was abducted..........

I mean, Parent A goes on a trip with Kid without Parent B's knowledge. Parent A returns with Kid for Parent B's parenting time. Was the kid abducted? No. Was it contempt? Maybe. Was it bad form not to inform the other parent? Yes. Is there anything one can do about it? Journal it and should you end up in court, use it as evidence that the other parent isn't cooperating, because outside that, it isn't worth much.

Comment

Parent lives in Niagara Falls, Canada. Parnet takes child without the other parent's knowledge across the boarder for an hour to have lunch and do some shopping.

Did the parent abduct the child? Obvously not. Thus, the law needs to be written with casual, innocent intentions excluded.

More importantly, criminal law in general requires there be intent. If there is no criminal intent, this mitigates the act. If I bump into you inadvertantly and knock you down, I have not commited criminal assault. Instead you may seek civil damages if you have been injured and you can show that I should have been more careful.

Comment

No. It does demonstrate the unilateral decision making ("controlling nature") of the parent in question though. It wouldn't be viewed in a positive light generally.

Parents, even in an intact family, should be advising each other of their children's travel arrangements, where they will be and how they are getting there.

That is a demonstration of bad parenting decision and not abduction.

The fact that the child was able to cross an international boarder without question or request for evidence to the other parent's consent is quite disappointing if what you stated is truthful. More needs to be done to insure that all children exiting Canada have the proper consents in place to do so.

Let we have more incidents such as these:

Stephen Watkins:

ALERT ! - ABDUCTED MISSING CHILDREN : Alexander WATKINS + Christopher WATKINS

Cesar Pimenta Caetano:

Bring Alice Home

Highly recommended that anyone whom has had a shelter involved in their matrimonial dispute watch this video and especially if the shelter is from Southern Ontario:

Bring Alice Home: - YouTube

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
            Depends.

What is the length of time?

Did the parent intend on returning with the child?

Did the child's absence cause the other parent to miss parenting time?

Abduction would generally involve intent to interfere with the other parents parenting time. If there was no intent to interfere (or it simply doesn't interfere), than one would be hard pressed to prove the kid was abducted..........

I mean, Parent A goes on a trip with Kid without Parent B's knowledge. Parent A returns with Kid for Parent B's parenting time. Was the kid abducted? No. Was it
            contempt? Maybe. Was it bad form not to inform the other parent? Yes. Is there anything one can do about it? Journal it and should you end up in court, use it as evidence that the other parent isn't cooperating, because outside that, it isn't worth much.
            Then no, it wasnt abduction. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              No. It does demonstrate the unilateral decision making ("controlling nature") of the parent in question though. It wouldn't be viewed in a positive light generally.

Parents, even in an intact family, should be advising each other of their children's travel arrangements, where they will be and how they are getting there.

That is a demonstration of bad parenting decision and not abduction.

The fact that the child was able to cross an international boarder without question or request for evidence to the other parent's consent is quite disappointing if what you stated is truthful. More needs to be done to insure that all children exiting Canada have the proper consents in place to do so.

Let we have more incidents such as these:

Stephen Watkins:

ALERT ! - ABDUCTED MISSING CHILDREN : Alexander WATKINS + Christopher WATKINS

Cesar Pimenta Caetano:

Bring Alice Home

Highly recommended that anyone whom has had a shelter involved in their matrimonial dispute watch this video and especially if the shelter is from Southern Ontario:

Bring Alice Home: - YouTube

Good Luck!
              Tayken
              Tayken, taking child out of country without checking any consent documents actually happened twice which is officially documented. Canada border authorities dont give a @#$&. All they care about is proper passport upon return. You can take the whole bunch of children out of canada , go ahead, no one cares anyway.

Comment

Tayken, taking child out of country without checking any consent documents actually happened twice which is officially documented. Canada border authorities dont give a @#$&. All they care about is proper passport upon return. You can take the whole bunch of children out of canada , go ahead, no one cares anyway.
                Hi Mother,

This does not constitute "abduction" just bad parenting on the part of the parent who did this. You should be challenging this matter possibly on contempt if you have "documented evidence" to the fact that the other parent violated a court order.

The challenge you are facing is that there is no exit strategy at the Canadian borders when you are driving. It is left to the authorities in the United States to validate if the child has consent to travel.

You may be able to contact the authorities in the United States and register the court order with the appropriate authorities there. That way when the passports of the children are scanned a travel restriction is presented to the border security agent and they are not permitted entry due to a violation of a court order.

My opinion is that there should be a pre crossing check done by Canadian authorities at all border crossings by Canadian officials. All custody and access disputes, settlements and court orders should be registered with this authority and travel should not be permitted without the other parent's consent.

In addition, I am of the STRONG opinion that any matter of custody and access involving any children under the age of 14 before any court of competent jurisdiction should automatically restrict the travel of any child to that of their habitual jurisdictional city boundaries.

For example, if a child is resident in Mississauga and an Application is brought before any court the Applicant and the Respondent should not be allowed to move the child in question's habitual residential area no more than 15 KM from their current address as long as it is within the boundaries of the city of Mississauga.

If you are truly concern of abduction by the offending parent you may want to talk to representatives at Child Find Canada:

ChildFind Canada

As this thread is regarding "child abduction" I kindly do ask Mother that you stick to the topic at hand.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Happy to see coverage on this, but without an order, you are SOL. I was goign through a contested separation and my ex spouse did just that. Without an official order, there was nothing I could do. I had to file for an emergency motion, which was the only way to get the child back. It's been downhill since then, which is over 5 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                    Happy to see coverage on this, but without an order, you are SOL. I was goign through a contested separation and my ex spouse did just that. Without an official order, there was nothing I could do. I had to file for an emergency motion, which was the only way to get the child back. It's been downhill since then, which is over 5 years...
                    Actually, you are not SOL. If you read the materials and had a better understanding of the law possibly you would realize that the removal of a child under the age of 14 years of age without a court order is in fact a violation under the Criminal Code of Canada... In particular Section 283.(1).

As there is no statute of limitation in Canada you can still bring forward a criminal charge provided you have the evidence beyond reasonable doubt to present to the crown or a justice of the peace.

Originally posted by Criminal Code of Canada
                    Section 283

(1) [ Abduction ]

Every one who, being the parent, guardian or person having the lawful care or charge of a person under the age of fourteen years, takes, entices away, conceals, detains, receives or harbours that person, whether or not there is a custody order in relation to that person made by a court anywhere in Canada, with intent to deprive a parent or guardian, or any other person who has the lawful care or charge of that person, of the possession of that person, is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
                    Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                      Do you care to expand on the highlighted comment you made? In particular answering the following questions:

How has it "gone downhill"?
                      What was the result of your emergency motion?
                      Were you given any form of custody (sole, joint) resulting from your motion?
                      What was the resulting access schedule?
                      Were you criminally charged with "domestic violence" and/or "child abuse" at that time? Have you ever been charged with "domestic violence"?
                      Was the other parent represented by legal counsel at the time of the alleged abduction?
                      Were you represented by legal counsel at the time of the alleged abduction?

Finally, I suggest you click on my name "Tayken" and read the primary messages I post to this message forum. Most of the case law I research surrounds the abduction of children in contravention of section 283.(1) and 282.(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada, false allegations of "domestic violence" and "child abuse" and legal "truisms" to establish a false status quo in family law proceedings.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

Re-read this thread againd. Can someone please explain what SOL stands for?

Thank you

Comment

Sh#t out of luck

Comment

O'la-la...

Comment

I will share my story which used to be a very common one for many in the military. You go away for training, tour of duty etc. come home to no wife or child, empty house & bank accounts, phone cut off and in-laws that lie to you about everything.
                              This happened to me in 1995, when I finally tracked her down and tried to get a compassionate posting to where ex took our child she called the base padre and told him I was abusive, that was all it took to stop me. She didn't need one bit of evidence it was just "assumed" that because she was the mother she was telling the truth...
                              She had filed for custody as soon as she got back to her home town which is 9 hrs away from where I was located, made it next to impossible for me to get to court and because I was left with all the debts I was pretty much broke and couldn't afford to travel in the first couple of years.
                              This was a common occurrence on every military base and although there were cases of abuse a lot of it was the spouse was bored, met someone else, didn't like to be a military wife with the long periods apart etc. It was common to see moving vans show up when we were all away.
                              My ex to this day does not feel she did anything wrong, how sad is that...
                              Cheers

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X