Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-secondary/ housing

Hello,

So, child is registered for university in the fall. She is currently living in a friend's apartment on their couch, as she recently got kicked out of her apartment. I am considering purchasing a rental property close to the university where she will be (maybe) attending and having her live in the basement suite and rent out the upstairs.

We live in different provinces, so this would be a way for me to help her out and give her a headstart. If she graduates college and gets a job in her chosen field, I would sell the house to her at a discount. (5-7 years from now)

I am wondering about the legal aspect of it. If she were to move back in with her mother, and attend full-time I would owe about $800/mo in support. Would her mother be able to submit the registration to the enforcement agency and claim the support if she is living in a house that I own? I would not charge her rent for the basement suite so long as she is attending and attempting to do well. The tenants upstairs would more than pay for the expense of the house.

Most post secondary schools are going online this year. Before you do anything you should probably check with your child on what is happening and where they will be attending.

If kid goes to school in same city as your ex then they should live at home. Your ex can argue against having kid live away from home when the option is available. Especially if kid lived there before. Not sure why kid was living in an apartment but that could be an argument in your favour.

If kid is going to a school that is attending in person AND it is away from home then you could get a rental and not charge kid rent but you will still be on the hook for your share of other costs if there are any. Problem though is if there is a program close to home and kid could live with your ex then ex could argue they are not obligated to pay for school away from home or living expenses if kid isn’t living with them.

Short answer is you can set up your own situation that is a benefit to you but if your ex argues they are not obligated for the above reasons then you AND kid would be on the hook for all the costs.

Comment

She has not lived at home since last year, but I paid support up until she turned 19. My RESP will cover my share of her tuition expense. Actually, it would cover her whole degree as long as she didn't take more than 8 years to complete it.

Child does not want to live with her mother at all.

Her September courses are all on-line, but I expect it to move to on campus at some point in the future. The house is close to the university, and she can take a bus.

I guess I'm just wondering if ex can say that since child is going to school, she is entitled to child support even if child is living on her own in a house that I own. I would not expect ex to contribute to this in any way. The mortgage/ expenses of the house would be more than covered by the upstairs tenants. 20% down with today's interest rates makes for an attractive payment.

Comment

If she isn’t living with her mother and chooses not to live with her then no cs is not paid. If she tries to file with the enforcement agency you can prove kid lives in the apartment by having a piece of mail with her name on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X